Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Please help?

Posted by caringinlaw 
Please help?
January 31, 2011 08:43PM
My mother in law symptoms have worsened that she needs 24 in home nursing care, she has always been a woman that was independent and proud, which makes this a very difficult time for her. fortunately after paying into the system working for many years she went on disability 5 years ago when the illness declined, her disability income as minimal as it is allowed her to stay in her home of 30 years with medicare paying for her 24 hour care, My dilemma is we are caught in a catch 22, her disability has payments are less than 1200 per month for a yearly income of 14,400 per year, which has basically drained her savings because it doesnt cover her monthly bills, we recently got a letter claiming that medicare will cut her nursing care because she makes too much on disability??????? In order for her to keep her 24 hour care that she desperately needs we have to decline $600 of her disability money so she can keep her medicare. As a family we would have to cover this loss in money. Our alternative is having our mother give up her last shred of independence and dignity and move to an assisted living center or fight the gov't in court which could be expensive if anybody can help with advise we would welcome it
Re: Please help?
January 31, 2011 09:14PM
Call an elder care attorney. These things are tricky and it is worth the money to get expert advice. He or she will know what options are available in your state. Here's one possibility. In some states it is possible to set up a Miller trust, also called a medical needs trust; it's for people whose income is too high to qualify for medicaid but too low to cover medical needs. All the income goes into the trust and goes right out again for medical needs only. Medicaid then picks up the balance. I don't know if this would be applicable in your state but it might be and if so, it really needs to be set up with legal advice.
February 01, 2011 09:56AM
This is a dilemma of many ill people and families who rely on the government for their total care. The government in this country doesn't pay for everything the way you want it to do. It's probably easier to accept that no matter where she is, that needing 24 hour care is not being independent. Also living in group setting is not undignified. Many people do that and they have not lost dignity. Otherwise if you really feel that these factors are that important, it sounds it will cost you $600 or more a month for as long as she lives. Most people don't want their families to do that for them. I would check to make sure the the rules of the assistance she is on are being followed properly. You can't take the government to court for most things, but they do have free appeal processes.
February 01, 2011 12:45PM
Just want to make sure I'm not missing something here as what Medicare pays. How is Medicare paying 24 hour care in the home? I thought medicare provided what's called "homecare", that's not 24 hour in home care, is it? Is "caringinlaw" maybe referring to Medicaid?

What does MEDICARE "homecare" cover? Any responses would be appreciated.
February 01, 2011 01:24PM
I think that he was probably referring to medicaid. Medicaid is means tested, medicare is not.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login