Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Teresa

Posted by Eric 
Re: Teresa
January 21, 2011 08:49PM
This is very sad sad smiley my thoughts are with you and your boys, Eric.

Matt.

[www.hdyo.org]
January 21, 2011 09:47PM
Eric, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm so sad for you, and I hope you and the boys can find peace. Thinking of you and sending you my prayers . . . With Love, Michelle
January 21, 2011 09:47PM
I'm thinking of you, Eric, and wishing all the best for you and your family. I think it is a peaceful sort of sadness that comes over us when someone who has suffered so much passes on.
January 21, 2011 10:16PM
Eric, I'm so very sorry. Your beautiful Teresa is what brought you here to us, and because of Teresa, her nursing home went from just one HD patient, to being a specialty HD nursing home. Because of Teresa so many people's lives have been helped. My heartfelt condolences to you and your boys. I have some words that you said once, and I'd like to return these words to you now, because you have done so much for all of us:

"People succumb to HD. Given that downside I have more that a few positive things that have happened through the course of dealing with HD. HD has allowed me to know true compassion. I saw my wife exercise it with her mother. I was able to learn it from her and and eventually show it to her when she needed it. My children have learned it also. I have watched as Teresa has exercised grace in her illness. We as a family have become closer, not the ships passing in the night like so many families become, and that we might have become also. I feel God has bestowed upon us a true purpose in our lives. Teresa has become the tool for three better people. The boys and I have a purpose in caring for someone in her greatest need. I have learned humility as have the boys. We have seen people from doctors and nurses, to teachers, to the people of our town and people in our church offer what they could when they could. We learned what matters in life and what doesn't. Small moments in time have become larger and more enjoyable. We have all learned to ask for help when we need it. We learned to accept it from those who benefit from giving it.

I also have seen a true humanitarian effort on the part of this community. I have seen so many people give beyond what any normal person would give. We have all seen thoughtful well wishes..true compassion..a sharing of ideas, thoughts, feelings, and experiences, all for the benefit of someone else who needs it.

I think picking out what sucks is pretty easy. Bad things have happened for sure. But for me at least, bad things happening hasn't meant a bad life. I get to hear "I love you", from the boys and my wife more than I ever would have. I get to say it back and mean it more too..."

Thank you Eric. Wishing you strength and comfort at this time.
jsr
January 21, 2011 11:59PM
I never know what to say at times like this
January 22, 2011 01:14AM
I have selfishly been hoping you would let us know of Theresa's passing. Approx 2 weeks ago, as I was attempting to fall asleep, a vision/thoughts of her passed through my mind and she looked content and peaceful in that brief snapshot. It was my hope that she was feeling just that way. There are no words that could ever convey what sharing your story has meant to me personally or the amount of wishes I have that this could be easier for you and your boys. My thoughts are with you always and in all ways. Take good care Eric.
January 22, 2011 01:18AM
double posted- sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2011 01:19AM by carell.
January 22, 2011 03:33AM
My heartfelt condolences to you and your boys Eric. Teresa is now at peace and I hope you and the boys find comfort in that.

Louise x
January 22, 2011 06:16AM
Eric,
I am so sorry for your loss of your wife. Thank you for being such an active part of the forum.

paula
January 22, 2011 11:00AM
So sorry Eric,may she rest in peace now xxx
January 22, 2011 11:08AM
Eric my heart goes out to you and your boys. Even though this was expected it is still sad to lose your spouse, mother, friend. You did a good job and now Theresa is free. Take time to mourn then do something nice for yourself, don't feel guilty, you deserve it. Thank you for sharing your journey. You and T have helped so many of us with your knowledge and by letting us see through your words how you have lived this illness in your family. Much love Eric. I'll keep you in my prayers. Margaret
January 22, 2011 12:18PM
So sorry for your loss Eric. May she rest in peace.
January 22, 2011 12:27PM
Eric-

I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your boys. It has been a pleasure to know Teresa through this site.

Sharon
January 22, 2011 02:17PM
Dear Eric, Matt and Zach
I was with my dad when he died on a very cold December morning long ago. When I eventually got back to our hospital my mother who had HD had been put in the doctor lounge. I bypassed my mother and went and stayed with Florence Nightingale, head nurse of a unit.. Flo was my nickname for her. When she had to do report I went home.

My sister?s godmother Auntie Kay was the first to arrive and I made pots and pots of tea. I put out plates of shortbread and fruitcake. The living room was full .Joanie?s godmother. Auntie Gwenie, my godmother, Auntie May. Auntie Win. English or Scottish, you know. Drink tea to keep the back straight in troubled times, therefore make tea, My oldest sister and her hubbie arrived later because Hugh had to sign papers for Dad. My sister Joan lived in Cowansville, and my brother lived of the island and were on the way here, so I made...Tea, tea, tea.
The doorbell rang again and our family friend June Sauer arrived. I said ?Would you like milk or lemon??
June replied.? I don?t want tea, I want a drink. ?
?You have to do that yourself as I only make tea.? Being Christmas there was plenty of booze and mix.
June opened the bar and nobody wanted any more tea. When the family men arrived they took over pouring drinks. Everyone was shocked by dad?s sudden death. My sister Joanie?s wedding the previous summer would turn out to be the last family gathering.
I was 16. Through the rest of my life I see fate cheated me with the loss of a father compared to most of my friends who have had fathers to walk them down the aisle, and share pregnancies with as causing supreme joy and just knowing you can call dad or mom. You just cannot argue with death. Otherwise I would have traded my father for my mother.

Having someone in the family with HD was much less complicated in my time because you did not talk about it. I don?t remember a time when my mother was not having HD. Almost anything I wanted to do was cut off by ?My nerves cannot take it.? I had a visual concept of FLASHING NERVES down her arms and legs, remember tv was black in white then so our artistic concepts less exciting.
When my mother died and was still, it was a relief. I was 22. Living with any disease in a family is very hard because there is never enough money, and this doubles with HD because it never skips a generation . All of you wonderful Waycotts have hung in there, Matt and Zach. To look after your mom, and Eric made life better for Teresa and pushing for fairer treatment for the HD world.
Teresa?s life is over. I am sure that she is peeping down from heaven hoping you will remember her before HD,. This is always a great time to go over family photos together.
All my love
Dusty
January 22, 2011 04:14PM
I'd like to echo Barbs thoughts as I feel she said it all the best. I will be thinking of you and yours over the next few days and weeks to come and am thankful for all you've done for all of us here. Hoping good memories gone by can help you through this time. Love, Pat
January 22, 2011 06:30PM
Peace to T and your family...
January 22, 2011 08:31PM
Please accept my sympathy and prayers. Eric, May you all find comfort with family in your grief.
January 22, 2011 11:46PM
Eric,

I'm so sorry to hear your news. You and the boys will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Laura
January 23, 2011 01:14AM
Eric,
You fought the good fight. I wish you well.

Fred
January 23, 2011 03:55AM
Eric
I am so sorry for your loss. You and your sons have my symphaty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login