Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

to those in-the-know

Posted by Jane 
to those in-the-know
August 01, 2001 04:27PM
I've been reading the bulletin board and Jake brought up the subject of stem cell research. I don't want to debate right or wrong, what I want to know is how promising is this stem cell research to HD? My mom has HD. Does this mean there is tangable hope for a cure? How Soon? Can the research be just as beneficial with adult tissue as with the (controversial) embryos? I've heard some say yes & some say no. Who do I believe.
RE: to those in-the-know
August 01, 2001 04:46PM
Jane, I'm not "in-the-know", but I too am interested in the answers.
Marsha
August 02, 2001 12:23AM
Here's a quote from an Israeli researcher which addresses Jane's second question.: "Embryonic stem cells have advantages over stem cells derived from adult tissues," Dr. Gepstein points out. "They can proliferate far more than can stem cells from adults, producing far more descendant cells. This is important, because many millions of cells are needed to repair organs. In addition, we know that embryonic stem cells can differentiate into all the tissues of the body, while a given type of adult stem cell seems to differentiate into only a small set of tissue types."
Dee
August 04, 2001 09:47AM
Jane,
Below is a link to NIH (National Institute of Health). It contains alot of information about different types of stem cells, research guidelines, etc. It should answer a lot of the questions you have.
[www.nih.gov]

Dee
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login