Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

B-12

Posted by lizceja 
B-12
December 23, 2010 09:15AM
Mom's doctor called me and told me that my mom's B12 is very low.. What does that mean. Is this part of HD. I feed my mom and I feed her good stuff .. fish,meat,rice,bread,sweets.. I dont understand why its still very low.

Liz
db
Re: B-12
December 23, 2010 11:28AM
I don't know if it is part of HD or not . But many older persons and also those on protein pump inhibitors can be low in B12 as well as Vit.c ; and Vit.D . Actually all the the B vitamins can be a little lower for the same groups of people . Many people feel a lot better after their B12 is back up . And your not doing anything wrong . The body sometimes does not assimilate our nutrients as well as it once did . Also ,sometimes one might be drinking alot of tea or coffee during our meals , and that can lower our assimilation to some Vitamins and minerals . So did your Moms DX. suggest pills or B12 shots ? both do equally well . My best . db
December 23, 2010 02:50PM
They said shots. I have to take her once a month.. What if I dont take her what happens.. Im just tried of wasting my time and effort when its not going to cure or help her HD. Why try?
December 23, 2010 03:57PM
B12 deficiency --by itself -- causes neurodegeneration and contributes to dementia symptoms. Add that to the HD gene -- and it is likely to increase HD dementia. There was a recent Alzheimer's Phase 2 study suggesting that Vitamin B supplements (which included B12) decreased the rate of progression.

Getting B12 by shot or pill is important depending on the cause of the deficiency: if the person can't absorb B12, then giving a pill to supplement won't help. That person needs the shot. In my office this is a nurse visit -- so in and out quickly. Depending on your mother's ability to get out -- this is something a visiting nurse can do too. Hope this helps, L
db
December 25, 2010 07:12PM
Lavonne thank you I did not realize that about the absorbing . We found Mom did better with her multi-B pill. And I take a shot every 6 weeks and a multi-B by mouth daily . I notice a big difference when I take this vitamin . My spirit seems calmer . db
db
December 25, 2010 07:14PM
Liz if it was me I would make sure she got it . I think it can only help . all my best. db
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login