Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Balance issues versus zyprexa (olanzapine)

Posted by Shar 
Balance issues versus zyprexa (olanzapine)
December 19, 2010 08:36AM
I thank all of you on your input for my husband's balance issues.

I was thinking about this last night - can there be a connection to the balance issues and a drug. I looked up side effects of zyprexa on line this morning and it mentions possibly stop taking it if balance issues suddenly arise.

I know HD can cause balance issues, however, it seems his balance issues started one day and have gotten quite a bit worse over a short period of time. Would HD do this or could it be the medication?

He has been on zyprexa probably for 3 years or so. He started at 2.5 mg
up to 7.5 mg and then a neurologist had us increase it several months ago to 15 mg.

If anyone has any input I would appreciate it. I plan on calling a doctor tomorrow.

Thank you.
Re: Balance issues versus zyprexa (olanzapine)
December 19, 2010 10:02AM
I guess you won't know unless you stop zyprexa. I suppose it's kind of up to you whether it's worth that attempt or not, if the benefits of zyprexa are worthwhile compared to possible balance issues.
Re: Balance issues versus zyprexa (olanzapine)
December 19, 2010 10:50AM
My daughter was on zyprexa in 2005. The doctor way over did it and put her on 40 mg/day. She not only had balance problems but could not even walk! She was in a wheelchair and had to go to rehab for months to start walking again. I'm sure the problem was caused by the ridiculous dose she was on. She was weaned off the zyprexa and is still walking today. I don't know if she would have had these problems if she had been on a normal dose, but it is certainly worth talking to your doctor about.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login