Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

My yearly clinic visit

Posted by Barb 
My yearly clinic visit
December 05, 2010 05:14AM
Well, here is my annual report lol. I had my yearly visit this week at ubc. I have to say i felt really sad going in without Dan, but that's fine. My visit was very different this time. You know guys, i almost feel guilty saying when my neuro tests go good, cus i know so many arent doing good. And i dont know why, i think ive just been fortunate, and that is all. But anyways, i was blown away and so was my neuro. I have always failed the finger tapping test, i am always so slow, and dr blair is always saying, come on, try and do it faster, well this time, i was doing it just as fast as him, we both looked stunned. I passed the sticking out your tongue test too, and have always failed that too. Still have slow eye movements, but my walking is improved too. Oooooh, and the test where they pull on your shoulders and try and make you fall backwards, i always fall, i didnt fall this time smiling smiley But the biggest thing ia everyone was so glad to see me, and so sorry bout dan. They even sent me a card a couple weeks ago, and all the doctors and everyone had signed it. And dr g was soooo nice to me, and it was so good to see carly too. Everyone there is so nice, and cares so much, and they cared and understood my loss, and were very proud of how well im doing, and how everything got taken care of good, and that i have a new place now and everything. So it was a really good visit. Pretty good when you can say you love your doctors huh? smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley
Re: My yearly clinic visit
December 05, 2010 06:21AM
Glad you did so well on your neuro. Did they say why they think there is an improvement?
eve
December 05, 2010 08:16AM
Great news Barb. I wish you could tell us all why this is happening and we could copy whatever your doing! But seriously I'm glad you have some great news.
December 05, 2010 08:30AM
Barb, that's great! Real feelings of sympathy from others helped me, too, when Phil died. I have visions of doing what you have done, if/when my mom passes away before I do -- of selling the house and moving to a smaller and easier place to live in the years I'm still doing OK. Are you still not taking memantine? How has your mind/body done after being off of it for a long time? Thinking of you, Alice.
December 05, 2010 08:53AM
What a wonderful report Barb! So happy that you are doing well despite it being such a difficult time. It is great that you have found docs and a clinic that you are so happy with - we are still searching for that. Are you near NYC by any chance? What do your docs attribute it to? the memantine? other things you are doing?

Great news!
December 05, 2010 09:22AM
That really is great news,I am so glad that you are doing so well.Well done Barb!Take good care Gordon x
db
December 05, 2010 11:22AM
thumbs up smiley It feels good to hear that others have time periods when they are feeling better and doing better . I really enjoyed your posting your report . thank you for shearing with us . Take care. db
December 05, 2010 01:43PM
Alice im still on memeantine, just a better dose for me. Hope, i go to the michael hayden clinic at ubc in vancouver bc, one of the best smiling smiley Thanks everyone smiling smiley
December 05, 2010 04:27PM
I wonder if your low CAG (i believe you are a 39?) has something to do with it.... maybe this lower penetrance has caused less physical damage to your cells... and the memantine has somehow caused you to recover somewhat... but I wonder why you had some early symptoms in the first place when you were only in your 40s with a low CAG..

Dont suppose we will ever find out but its interesting to ponder...to many variables in each human body i suspect...

Its lovely to read your enthusiastic report of your neuro test I bet they enjoy haveing you there with your sunny attitude smiling smiley

Well done you!

Lorraine x
December 05, 2010 05:17PM
Wonderful news! It is always great to hear good news like that!Just keep up what ever you are doing!
December 05, 2010 08:26PM
Way to go Barb...never feel guilty, not one tiny bit...we all share each others good times and not so good times.

So happy for your great check up!

Carla
December 06, 2010 12:42AM
Nice news Barb!! smiling smiley I'm not surprised though that you did well. You are a survivor. I'm glad too that you're enjoying your new place. Make sure you take extra good care of yourself my friend. . I'm thinking of you smiling smiley
December 06, 2010 01:50PM
I'm sooooooo very happy to hear you wonderful news Barb.. Many many hugs being sent you way! Group hugClappingTipping my hat to youRose
December 06, 2010 02:44PM
That is JUST GREAT, Barb! PLEASE don't feel bad sharing good news; stuff like this makes everyone happy. Both happy for you, and hopeful for themselves/loved ones. You sure do deserve some (more) good news; enjoy it!

You are a really amazing woman. You have taken both the good and the bad in life with the most amazing attitude. A true inspiration in so many ways.
December 07, 2010 03:18AM
Thanks everyone smiling smiley You know, it really is because of the memantine. It wasnt until i started the memantine that my hd began to get better each year, instead of worse. Someone asked me about my cag of 39, why i got hd so young. My neuro told me if my cag was 40, i would be expected to get hd later in life, but he said a cag of 39 is very unstable, and a count of 39, because of its unstability, you can get it at any age. I think too, that im very in-tune with what works for me, and what doesnt, and have a take charge attitude when it comes to hd, maybe cus i know someday i wont be able to take charge, so i do while im able to. I dont know when my symptoms will get worse again, but for now, i just feel fortunate smiling smiley
December 07, 2010 07:55AM
You are very fortunate. If it can happen to you there is no reason to think that under the right circumstances it could happen to someone else too. Isn't it surprising that they are not doing more clinical trials for Memantine at lower dosages for HD.

So happy for you!!
Luz
December 07, 2010 10:00AM
That's great, Barb! I'm very happy for you!
December 07, 2010 11:16AM
You rock, Barb!

Margie
ivy
December 07, 2010 01:22PM
Glad to hear things went SO well!! Good for you! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login