Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Future regards working....

Posted by Lorraine 
Future regards working....
November 30, 2010 09:37AM
Sorry its me again motor mouth from England!

I have another question which my non-HD friends and family can not help with.(they have all expressed their opinions but im not sure they understand how I feel) Due to lack of experience/knowledge....

and I need to decide by about the 15th December and I cant ask my Neuro's opinion cos I havent got an appointment for weeks now I suspect....

Anyway the point is....

I have a little Vinatage stall in Plymouth market.....

(Background :-
before this I was a computer programmer (not a very good one for some years!) I was finding it hard to concentrate and after 26 years in same job decided a career break was in order, im still on the career break now although i will not go back when its over (mum being ill and 2 kids single at the time also having a bearing on decision to leave I looked at my knowledge base.. old clothes, gardening, cooking... the only place to make money from those 3 was old clothes so i started collecting feverpitch))

....... double parenthesis?? the computer geek still lives in side me

...... Its a small stall (photo to follow) it costs about ?6200 a year to rent and I make a good living... however it is a market stall and have to conform to what are really strict rules regards how much stuff I can display where exactly i can put it etc... I pay rent daily and can leave when ever I wish.

Last month a small shop set within the walls of the market came up for lease by tender (appx ?4200 + ?800 rates + small electric bill)
much larger space with proper metal roller door for closure and best of all I comply with the terms of the lease and am answerable to the council directly (the petty minded market admin staff have nothing to do with the shops)

Right heres the difficult bit.... the lease is for 6 years (can ask for a "break" clause at 18months but if someone elses tender doesnt they will get preference over me)

My question is should I be messing about raising my stress levels kind of getting deeper into my newly found (and much loved) vocation and signing up to things that are months/years until they finish.

I am ok now but I sometimes feel im on the cusp of not being able to cope (does anyone know what I mean?)

Its as if suddenly my brian is going to lurch and I will be throwing change at customers and dropping 1970s platform boots on their toes!!
Over the last year as Ive noticed odd symptoms i have lost my confidence in public.. im very nervous of saying things that make no sense and also rambling on for ages like a stuck record...or tripping over my own feet or overbalancing (easy done surrounded by bags shoes and junk...)

I find typing much easier as I can edit and control the content before its unleashed on the world...

I think thats enough info to kick this question off... any opinions at all (particularly from anyone who was working at on-set.. how long did they continue before it all got too much?) appreciated.

thanks

Lorraine smiling smiley

ps could not get photo to insert here... so this is the link to the markets advertising page with a photo:-

[www.plymouthcitymarket.co.uk]
Re: Future regards working....
November 30, 2010 10:05AM
I'm CAG+ (43), not "symptomatic", though I do have mental quirks I think I've always had them.... Still...I HAVE wondered if I'll have the mental capacity to decide the EXACT BEST TIME to make any future career changes (based on disability insurance & other factors).

I watch Suze Orman, a financial planner with a Sat night show here in the US (probably not shown in the UK since financial laws/rules would be all different).

But one thing she says popped into my head here, and SHOULD really apply: she always tells people to not rush to any financial or life decisions too soon after a big life event (ie: such as someone close to them passing away, and inheriting money or getting insurance money).

It's ok/probably good to ask yourself questions right now; and gather data/opinions to kick around in your own head; but take your time before making any irreversible changes in your life. Besides this GENERAL rule, in your case, you are probably still under stress from the testing; the symptoms that you describe could certainly get better as you get some distance from that stress.

If you could easily close your stand & get it back, that is one thing; maybe taking a break would help get your stress level back down (but only if you could find another focus to fill the time - you don't want to spend all day dwelling on your recent diagnosis either). But if it's a process to re-set-up, make sure you do take your time.

I wish you the best as you sort all this out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2010 10:06AM by smiling sara.
pab
November 30, 2010 11:01AM
Hi, love your "shop"

I say go for it!!! If that is what you love and want to do!

Good Luck, Paula
November 30, 2010 11:38AM
Were you content as you were? You say you love it now, right? Will you love it more or maybe asking for too much of a good thing? HD aside. I think it's ok to say what I have now is just right. And just know what you have is what you love. I think we all know people who get so ambitious they take their passion and make it a chore.. and that's kinda sad. It sounds like you are doing really well. It can go for as long as you want it to, and you can stop when ya want to as well pretty painlessly. That's a pretty sweet deal... and already I am kinda jealous of it as it is.
December 01, 2010 02:57AM
Well, for what it's worth, i think taking on a 6 year lease right now, would be very very stressful for you. I think you should not lock yourself into that, keep doing what you're doing now, you're enjoying things how they are, and you do have some symptoms that you're concerned about, and a 6 year lease, well, 6 years can be very long with hd, you know?
eve
December 01, 2010 07:03AM
Would you be able to easily sub-lease it to someone else if you wanted out before the 6 years? If not, I'd be a bit hesitant and reflect a bit more about it.
If you'd be responsible for still paying the lease and you felt you no longer wanted or were able to do it, what would the penalty be for breaking the lease? Sometimes I think I'm too cautious, and I don't want to stress you with worries...just want you to think about the "worst" thing that could happen. Because you already know the best thing would be a great income, better shop, etc.
But I've read one way to help yourself make a decission is to make a list of pros and cons. Divide the paper in 1/2 and list the positives on one half and the negatives on the other side. Then compare and that might help too.
Good luck! I could see either choice could work out for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2010 07:03AM by eve.
December 01, 2010 01:44PM
Your CAG is not all that high and you might find 6 years passes happily. Clothing is almost always safer inside and if you really well you might take on help from time to time or all the time. Do you think you will make money easier. I had some ancestors in Plymouth, Admiral Gambier and I susp0ect pirate Hicks .
December 01, 2010 03:48PM
Lorraine,

Eve has some good thoughts. Another worst case possibility - if you can't continue to run the business you could offer it for sale with the lease. You might even be able to make a profit on the sale if it's doing well.

Will
December 10, 2010 03:19AM
Thanks for the info ^^"
December 14, 2010 06:36AM
Lorraine, Bob here. I'm 74; am lucky to have an expanded count of 40. I love England and its activities; was in and out for many quality times (1956 - 1996).
I am not a proponent of "waiting" six months to make a major decision. I am, however, fortunate to still be mostly asymptomatic and able to take care of my lessor-capable girls. I have no twichings nor extra-ordinary pains that I can't control. I still multitask. I take a ton of vitamins and supplements - all for the body and brain; nothing specifically for HD. I started a serious regimen in 1983 on my way to Berlin - remembering that German beer and other sippings were gooooood but potent - twas Fasching time.
All else being equal and after you evaluate everything, do what you want to do. There will always be unknowns. Where would the US be without our ancestors sailing off into the unknown?
I enjoyed your site - from satellite images to walking the maze.
December 21, 2010 01:25PM
I got it on my terms (retail is quite surpressed here in UK im gessing they had no other offers!!)

With 18 month breakout clause in lease incase i want out although lease is for 6 years..

Something to get my teeth into (whilst i still have teeth) for a while cant wait to dress it all up with old suitcases and mirrors and velvet curtains.. I shall be in heaven smiling smiley

Yipeeeeee!!!! smiling smiley)

L x
eve
December 21, 2010 08:00PM
Congrats! Very happy for you! If I lived there I'd take a look and likely be a customer. I hope you have great success!
December 21, 2010 11:36PM
Well that sounds awesome, good luck with your business smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login