Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Update on mom

Posted by brittb777 
Update on mom
November 23, 2010 12:17AM
It's been such a busy week for Mom! For the last 3 weeks she's been spitting up and choking on her food. She had an EGD done where they had to stretch her esophagus (due to a blockage for a hiatal hernia). She stilled continued to choke on her food, so we went to the doctor and scheduled a modified barium swallow evaluation. She passed that with flying colors, except they suggested soft foods. My family and I are still concerned she's aspirating a little. We will just need to coach her through her meals. It's been really rough lately because while all that was going on my uncle went to hospital for afib and possible heart attack, and my twin sister is having seizures and GI problems. While I'm venting my boyfriend and I of 3 years just recently decided to take a break. Can't anything in my life just remain constant, and be okay? I'm having such a hard time keeping my sanity lately! I'm sorry, people have it much worse than I do,but it still feels pretty over-whelming at the moment sad smiley
Re: Update on mom
November 23, 2010 11:21AM
Brittb777- Sorry you are having such hard times. My Mom is in mid to late stage so I sure understand where you are at with her. Hang in there!
November 23, 2010 11:21AM
Brittb777- Sorry you are having such hard times. My Mom is in mid to late stage so I sure understand where you are at with her. Hang in there!
November 23, 2010 12:52PM
britt,
I too have many overwhelming times in my life so I know
exactly what you mean!
You seem like a wonderful person and I'm sure things will start to turn around. Just give it some time.
Laura
November 23, 2010 06:28PM
Laura said it perfectly!I agree Hang in there Britt, we'll be thinking about you.
November 24, 2010 12:02PM
I am going through the same thing you are ! My mom is in mid stages and Im caring for her. I can understand you!! But be patient !! All these bad things are happening but they will disappear little by little and you will be better.. Believe me.

If you dont mind me asking did you and your boyfriend break up due to your personal issues..

The reason I ask is because when I was dealing my mom and HD my boyfriend couldnt handle my issues but now he's my hubby !!! lol..

And dont worry about going on and on.. I do it all the time.. Everyone here loves to here it !! lol
ivy
November 24, 2010 07:50PM
You are definitely dealing with a LOT of bad things right now.sad smiley I hope things start to get better for you.....
When it rains, it POURS...sad smiley
November 26, 2010 12:48AM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the support. We split, not because of the stress ( he's really great with my mom, and loves her to death!), but because we discovered we're really better friends than lovers. It's rough because he's my best friend, and I admit I'm still in love with him, but he just doesn't feel the same. He loves me, but not that way. I finally came to terms with that, and that's what happened. Still roommates which is kinda of confusing for me, but we're trying to work out the details without making any rash decisions. Hope for the best :/
db
November 27, 2010 02:13PM
Something that we find helpful with my Mom is , not having distractions while she is eating . No t.v. ; no talking or as little as possiable ; Something I haven't tried yet , but I thought about trying is a small spoon . My Mom puts too much in her mouth at one time and eats too fast .So I am thinking maybe a tiny spoon might help . db
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login