Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

pitztyping

Posted by dustyblues 
pitztyping
November 15, 2010 02:17PM
Kelly and I used to compare how easy it is to type mistakes when you have HD. My typing is slow and inaccurate but nothing compare to how hard it is to write . My speech pathologist sent me for an adaptive technology assessment 10 years ago from which I got nothing because I was still marginal. Last6 years assessment put me over the edge.

I watched them assess my friend who died last christmas with HD at 42. THe computer they got for her way too late in HD and she was never able to use it. I am qualified through the school of hard knocks and several courses from U snow for adaptive technology in the class
Re: pitztyping
November 15, 2010 02:36PM
I have focusing problems, my glasses are 3.5, and things have to be bigger or I cannot see them. I have gone from being able to read books to not being able to read books and I am glad there is so much in the internet. You have to know to make type bigger is control and the plus sign. I never need to make it smaller. haha. IT annoys me that every time I change pages on the browsers I have to increase from stupid mouse type to what I can see, instead of the computer just remembering. Pitztyping gets worse weh you try to type withpuit reading each word. For me to produce information here can tke me hours, and I often loose what I type from puching the wrong button.

Now that people are living better with HD, there needs to be more attention paid to better technology which is supplied free because all that stuff is cost inflated
November 15, 2010 02:37PM
thiss whole area is still avoided when people have HD uz they are just going to die.
November 15, 2010 02:53PM
Dusty!

Thanks for the tip on how to increase the font size. I love learning new things.

I don't have HD but I can't see much without my readers which I can never seem to find! LOL

Take care,

Carla
November 15, 2010 03:24PM
I have a Microsoft wireless mouse that will magnify the screen when you press the right button. You can return to the regular font by pressing it again. The official name for it is "Microsoft USB Wireless Mouse (Intellipoint)".

Will
November 15, 2010 03:43PM
I think if you hold ctrl and roll the scroll ball on your mouse down the type gets larger, roll it up the type gets smaller...
November 15, 2010 03:49PM
Dusty,
I also have trouble typing and my handwriting is horrible.
It was pretty bad before HD though.
Lucky I can still read fine though.
Thanks for the tips!
Laura
November 18, 2010 10:45AM
Handwriting was one of the things that dramatically changed for my mom and made me realize that something was really wrong before she was officially diagnosed. She had always had beautiful handwriting and then it just became a scrawl on the page and her checks. She was able to enjoy reading for a little while but for the last year or so she either cannot keep her mind on the book, cannot recognize the words, or focus her eyes enough to read. She doesn't seem interested in books on tape either, so I think it may be a focus problem. It is frustrating sometimes to see just how much the HD takes away from things that used to be used relaxation and comfort.
db
November 18, 2010 11:18AM
Thank you Dusty for your posts . This has been more than helpful for me , the only reason I even started using my computer was to learn about HD . The tips are ones I will use from this day on . So much easier to see , and so quick to do . Sharing my heart db
db
November 18, 2010 11:24AM
what is pitztyping ? I don't understand ? Thanks db
November 18, 2010 05:42PM
If we separate the words,pitz means very bad and typing is self explanatory. Kelly and I had typing problems which were mild at first, then got worse. We are the first generation of PHDs who utilize a keyboard to communicate. Sometimes pitz typing is remedied by making sure your keyboard is exactly in the middle if you touch type. I look at the keyboard to type. As you progress up the years with HD your fingers move, your feet move but you only want the right letters there to type efficiently.Your hands have a completely different aim it seems to make as many mistakes as possible.

The girl who is having so much problems is fascinating to analyse becasue as thne post goes along, her typing is worse and worse. So we can class the first post as pitztyping 2, and the last one is almost incomprehensible, there are reversals. mistakes and some reversals. So we have an opprtunity to study how people with HD type, on and off meds.

There have been finger tapping speed tied to HD.

I often leave out lines now, . However I make a point of proofreading before posting and on the lasst paragraph typed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 06:00PM by dustyblues.
db
November 18, 2010 06:20PM
Dusty thanks for explaining that . Now what do you mean , there has been finger tapping speed tied to HD ? I could pretend I know , but , then I would miss out , on a little more knowledge . and I need all I can get hot smiley db
November 18, 2010 07:13PM
[www.questia.com]

there was a test around somewhere.which i stumbled into
db
November 19, 2010 03:17PM
Thanks , I now understand . smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login