Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

losing a child

Posted by AL 
AL
losing a child
November 11, 2010 10:06PM
Just came back from the hospital to visit some dear friends who have taken their son off of life support. He is 45 (the age of my son) and had a birth defect and has always been like an infant and the size of a small child. His parents have taken such good care of him for all of these years. It brought back memories of June (09) when Michelle was also taken off her feeding tube and how difficult it is to lose a child (or any loved one). But I was able to share with them as one who knows the difficulty of this decision. I sometimes have been so preoccupied with HD and the repercussions of it that I forget about others and what they go through. I just wanted to share because I know you all would understand how my heart feels tonight.
Re: losing a child
November 11, 2010 11:21PM
It's always sad to do that. It's un-natural. Parents shouldn't have to bury children. But he was 45, and I'm sure he was here that long due to the care his parents have taken of him.

I hope that they find the strength to move on and enjoy their time together.
November 12, 2010 04:32AM
A wife who loses a husband is called a widow. A husband who loses a wife is called a widower. A child who loses his parents is called an orphan. But...there is no word for a parent who loses a child, that's how awful the loss is! - Neugeboren 1976, 154

I'm sure you will be there to support your friends during this very hard and sad time for them.Stay strong hun xxx
November 12, 2010 12:49PM
How completely devastating! I'm so sorry for your friends. And also sorry for the loss of your daughter!! I really can't even let myself go there. I just can't. I still pray everyday, more than once a day, that God would give me something horrible before Joseph ever has HD. Maybe it's a defense mechanism, I don't know, because I'm sure everyone has prayed this same prayer a million times. My thoughts, prayers, empathy and everything else I have and feel go out to you all who have a lost a child!!
db
November 15, 2010 12:34PM
Doesn't it feel good to say he was well taken care of , and loved . Your friends can have a measure of happiness knowing they were successful in their rearing of their child . I imagine so many day to day situations , bring back your good memories of Michelle . I hope those memories give you comfort . all my best . db
November 16, 2010 01:56PM
I'm sure watching your friends go though their loss has brought up all your own feelings from losing Michelle. It's such a difficult pain to bear no matter how old they are. No matter how they go before us, the loss of a child is just... no wonder its nameless. (Really glad you shared that Blondie).
I hope your friends can & will find some small comfort to know that their son is now free from his condition.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login