Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Weanning off zoloft...

Posted by Hope2 
Weanning off zoloft...
October 20, 2010 02:36PM
Anyone have a personal experience with going off zoloft? I have read so many horror stories about the withdrawal but I think it is starting to have a negative effect on my husband and we are thinking of switching...
db
Re: Weanning off zoloft...
October 20, 2010 02:48PM
Are you doing this with the help of your DX. may I ask ? I think that is really important . I have seen friends do this by themselves , and it does not work well , in my opinion . I have seen them get so down, as well their thinking process is not as good . I feel 2 or 3 weeks in seems to be the worse . I have consistently suggested they go to their DX. and talk to that person and tell them what they have done and tell the DX. how they are feeling at that point . I myself tried cutting back on my Zoloft , a year or more ago . It didn't go well , and my friends ohh so quickly reminded me of my own words . But if you are getting help from a DX. I think you will get through it , and on to another med . Wishing your hubby well . db
October 20, 2010 03:15PM
Thanks DB - yes, only with the help of a doc. But my faith in docs is extremely low... I was hoping to hear real experiences.

Thanks for the help!
October 21, 2010 05:46PM
Hope, I am currently on Zoloft, and have taken in the past, as well. When I took it last time, I made a HUGE mistake by trying to come off of it by myself. The horrible dizziness is what I remember the most. My doctor was soooooo mad at me.yawning smiley Check with your doctor before you any med changes thumbs up
October 21, 2010 07:10PM
It's a ride. I weened my wife off of all her meds there for a while just to see the difference. It took me a month. She was on zoloft along with 6 other meds.

She wasn't that much different to tell you the truth. She was more attentive if anything.

After that, we built back up, one med at a time, until the goal of her being happier and balanced was achieved as far as we could hope.

It would work for about 3 months, then we would adjust again with dosages. I had to do that for a couple of years until she finally went to the nursing home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 07:12PM by Fred.
October 21, 2010 07:28PM
My phd did not do good on Zoloft. I don't know why but it made him much worse.

He has done pretty well on Cymbalta yet others I've spoken with had problems with it.

I think each person is different and how well you cycle off the medication is going to be as well.

Why do you want to stop it? Would a medication change be an option?
October 21, 2010 07:41PM
I want to stop it because I think it has pretty much depleted him emotionally. He is in very early stages - still working at a very demanding job, snowboarding, rip-sticking, biking, kayaking... but emotionally he is a zombie. From what I have read about zoloft many people have had the emotional blunting. Changing meds is an option. Researching zoloft I came across sooooooo many people who had horrible withdrawals...

his personality has essentially gone. the only time he gets a "real" smile is with the kids...

Thanks so much for your help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 07:43PM by Hope2.
October 21, 2010 09:00PM
It may not be the Zoloft
October 21, 2010 09:37PM
I know - but there is only one way to find out. what a shame it would be if he could be more himself on a different med but we didn't try...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login