Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

son may have JHD-he is currently inpatient psych-scared

Posted by marilee56 
son may have JHD-he is currently inpatient psych-scared
October 19, 2010 06:00PM
I posted last night and got some helpful replies. Thank you very much. To answer some of your questions. his early education was ok. he was in early intervention at age 3 1/2 through age 5 through the school district. he did not talk due to many ear infections. he had scaring and pressure behind the ear drum, wchich lead to hearing probs. once he had tubes put in his ears and the scaring removed and the pressure relieved he started to talk and was caught up and talking normally by kindergarden. gades k through 5 were ok. he had add. he had his struggles, he needed to be redirected at times. the meds did not work that well. he always had rages from time to time. the meds for the add just made them worse so we decided not to medicate. he always had social skill trouble. it was not an issue with him seeking out friends, he did that, he was often turned away and made fun of then he stopped trying. by grade 6 his grades started slipping and he started having more trouble in his main subjucts. he started not to like gym. i asked for the child study team to test in the middle of year and they said no. as his grades got worse i asked again and they agreed to test only after finding out we were leaving the district for grade 7. they agreed he needed services and gave him an IEP under OTHER HEALTH IMPAIRED. for the last 2 months of the school year. grade 7 was a little worse then grase 6. he had mainstream classes with in class support. he had a lot of trouble with 2 classes. the other classes he dide so so. we had a lot of trouble with homeowrk. the rages got worse over the past 2 years. now in grade 8 he still has mainstream classes with in class support an so far he has done so so. last year he did fair in gym. not to bad. but this year he cant do the things the other kids are doing. he has an aid for a modified gym class. he had gotten slowwer, clumsier, ballance is poorer, he has trouble getting into pants or jeans. he can't get his legs bent all the way back to get them into jeans. his personality has changed compared to 2 yearrs ago. he used to be so quiet and shy. he would sit and play leggos or with me on puzzles. we are very close. always have been very close. now he is so full of anger, so angry all the time, he had these rages, you never know what will set him off. it could be something so small. but now he is in the hospital. child psych-see prior post-SON MAY HAVE JHD-SCARED. we had a family meeting today and agreed to let them do the tedt for jhd. they are going to find out on their end what they have to do to do the test and what lab they have to send it to. and if they can put a rush on it due to the fact that he is inpatient and in a bad mental state with 2 inpatient admissions within 1 1/2 weeks due to extreme rages with violence, depressiom, and personality changes. and we have to have this ruled in or out as soon as possible so we know how or what to treat. in the meeting we talked to him about the rage on sudnay-refer to other post-and he got vary upset and started to blow-he wanted back on the unit-they put him in the quiet room-seclusion-and let him blow in there. i feel betteer now that they saw it. last week when he was there he was an angel. now they see the anger and rage. they know what it looks like now. there is so much going on i just need an answer either way. he has not had any seizures that i am aware of. do all kids who present a little older like my son he is 13 have seizures? but it seems since the beginning of grade 6 there has been a decline in school and gym-athletic. the social got worse in grade 6. it went from being alone with a few friends to bullying and being made fun of and the few friends he did have turned on him fast. when we went to the new district he was also bullied there right off the bat and he reached out to make friends but because of the bullying it made it hard for new friends to accept him in fear for being bullied themselves. now he is in grade 8 he has a few friends and i s still getting bullied-these kids are relentless. he tries to reach out. he has such a big heart and so much love to give and he just gets trampled on by the builliers. i guess he is an easy target. any help would be greatful.

kerri
Re: son may have JHD-he is currently inpatient psych-scared
October 19, 2010 06:38PM
Well, at this point it looks like his issue are being taken seriously. It sounds without some better intervention, the school setting is going to be difficult. I have no doubt he is not being treated well by classmates. Kids don't have mature coping mechanisms to deal with kids who have difficulties. They don't even have them for kids that they like. Ever see a boy act like a dweeb in front of the pretty girl? Put 5 boys with the pretty girl and it's a competition to see which is the bigger idiot. They don't know what to do.. and when they decide what to do as a group, it's usually pretty damn stupid.

I think that you have done the right things, and it's going to take some time to get things sorted. You have some serious help now.. keep giving your input and see what their expertise provides for him.
October 19, 2010 06:43PM
I am so glad they are testing to check for JHD. I am also glad the staff got to see one of the rages. You did an excellent job of describing your son. I am so sorry for all the difficulies that your family and he are going through. I hope you have some answers soon. I don't know a lot about JHD, but I do know a lot about kids and I know that bullying can be very detrimental to them. However, you have also seen a regression in Physical education skills and academic skills over the past few years. This is definitely of concern. After you get the test results, you may have a better idea of what direction to go. If you would like to PM me, please feel free to do so because I have experience working with Child Study Teams and may be able to give you some tips, whether or not he is diagnosed with HD. There could be so many reasons for the rages, bullying being just one of them, frusttration with school, another.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2010 06:45PM by paulabhouck.
October 19, 2010 06:52PM
I just read in the other post that you live in NJ. I live in NJ, too.

Paula
db
October 19, 2010 07:17PM
I just wanted to say , you are certainly going through a lot and so is your son and all of the rest of your family . I hope you are able to get some answers and your son might be able to get some meds that could help . all of that will take time , but , keep taking one day at a time ; and sometimes hour by hour at a time . All my best. db
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login