Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Patient with Huntington's on Grey's Anatomy

Posted by swgirl 
Patient with Huntington's on Grey's Anatomy
October 15, 2010 07:20AM
Just saw this episode last night. The story line featured a patient that divulged she had Huntington's Disease. Nothing huge, but really cool that Hollywood is taking notice of the disease and sharing it through shows like this one and "House".
Link:
[abc.go.com]
Re: Patient with Huntington's on Grey's Anatomy
October 15, 2010 07:28AM
Interesting; I only have cpu access at work so I'll have to see if it's on TV again.

What kind of symptoms did she show, and what were they treating her for?
October 15, 2010 08:10AM
The patient looked as tho she had HD. the patient was off to Brasil to maximize the rest of her life rather than spending a lot of money on doctors. Meredith's mother had Alzheimer's. As a result seeing the HD lady Meredith took a blood test for AD. Is there a test for AD? HD has always been the first neurological disease with a blood test which is only fair because it is pretty awful. I also thought the other diseases would follow. but that had not happened yet. Meridith's friend was with her to take the blood.
October 15, 2010 08:26AM
dustyblues Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Is there a test for AD?

I asked the neurologist that did my HD test about this. He said it was a pretty complicated process compared to the HD testing. Here is a great link that provides some additional information:
[www.genetichealth.com]
October 15, 2010 08:59AM
very good info thanks
October 15, 2010 06:35PM
I know when we did PGF IVF that testing for AD was an option.
October 18, 2010 08:26AM
Only one type of Alzheimer's is directly genetic, like HD. It's the "early-onset" type, and I think it's a single dominant gene for that, like HD.

There are several other genes that can be indicators that you are MORE likely to develop AD, but just having one of these genes doesn't mean you WILL develop it. I think Parkinson's is similar; it's a combination of genes and environmental factors, so more difficult to predict than HD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login