Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Has any one been able to contact any talk show?

Posted by Julie Olagbegi 
Has any one been able to contact any talk show?
October 11, 2010 09:06PM
Has anyone had any luck with contacting any shows. I probably think The Doctors and DR Oz's would be best because they are DR's and have more knowledge than talk show hosts!

Julie O
Re: Has any one been able to contact any talk show?
October 11, 2010 09:24PM
No, no one has ever been successful in contacting talk shows. Dr. Phil filmed a show about the Carol Carr case several years ago but then Mrs. Carr changed lawyers and they couldn't use it. The Doctors considered doing a show about testing for the HD gene awhile back but they wanted someone to test on camera and then get their results on camera -- all in two weeks before sweeps week. My daughter volunteered but they changed their minds.

Katie, an HDAC poster, was on the View a couple of years ago. She did great!
October 11, 2010 09:30PM
All of them besides Jerry Springer.
October 11, 2010 10:22PM
I read somewhere, but im not sure where, that oprah might be covering the neighbour bashing story, but i dont know where i read it, but yeah everyones been tried, (except jerry springer LOL) by tons of people, including oprah. I think the best stories are just the ones we do ourselves.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2010 10:24PM by Barb.
October 11, 2010 10:22PM
i tried elllen and opera, bt nothin,an i think my story is a good one
October 11, 2010 10:38PM
I am going to email Dr. Oz.There is a section where you give ideas for shows. I think it would help if we had more than just one!Strength in number!!
October 11, 2010 10:41PM
Well what do you want dr oz to do for us?
October 12, 2010 01:41AM
Sorry, my above post is a little blunt i think. I think its been talked about many times here in the past, and i forget when someone new doesnt know that. Theres actually been several times when we all joined forces as a group, and like all emailed oprah on the same day, so she couldnt help but notice us, things like that. I've personally written her in the past, told her some of the heartbreaking stories here, and some of the unsung heroes i've come to know. Many have written every talk show there is, but honestly the conclusion we usually come to is we can each be a voice in our own small way, but if there was a bigger voice, that would be great too. And welcome to the forum too
October 12, 2010 04:40AM
when i was first dianosed w/hd I found my long lost full brother (2 years ago) his b-day is 9/9/61 mine is 9/10/62! They'd probley like that story more! smiling smiley
October 12, 2010 09:22AM
Hello everyone,

I've been trying as well to get on a talk show. Being that I play drums for some famous artists you'd think they would be receptive! Not in the least. I have a very good friend who's the asst. talent producer for The View, and she can't even get them to get me on....any suggestions from anyone here let me know what I can do.....

cheers & Blessings,
Trey
October 12, 2010 09:36AM
I feel kinda bad in a way you are sort of a high profile person in our community. But you handle it well. I thought your radio work was great... maybe those interviews as audition tapes? It proves you are an interesting story in your own right... HD aside. That's how I found them to be.
October 12, 2010 09:47AM
Eric,

Thanks for the kudos. I hate to say this, but, I think HDSA has dropped the ball, again!!! I was on one of the biggest tours of the summer and they were only able to get a handful of media spots for me. They have a p.r. person on staff, I think. It's strange. On a side note, the local a.m. station where I live, just south of Nashville, is giving me and my studio partner a show starting Wednesday, November 10th. It's only on Wednesday's from 4-6. It's small, but it's a start.

cheers & Blessings,
Trey
October 12, 2010 10:16AM
Dr Phil is featuring cyber bullying as a serious problem this season. I suggest we email him about the little girl with JHD in Michigan.
October 12, 2010 10:30AM
Marsha,

that's a great Idea. Maybe they won't ignore her.
October 12, 2010 02:13PM
Well Trey, we do have a new advocacy committee formed through the HDSA. For the immediate future we are working on policy positions that sorely need updating. Hopefully we can help out with that ball dropping thing here shortly. That is my hope anyway.

Marsha I am on board with ya on the Dr. Phil thing. Might be a good idea to make sure the family is "down" with that kind of attention. Maybe the MI social worker could find out?
October 12, 2010 05:32PM
whats "family is down"?
October 12, 2010 05:54PM
The family of the little girl in Michigan who was being harassed by neighbors. They may not want to go on the show but the story has gone international now so their privacy is already out the window.
October 12, 2010 06:06PM
ah ok, i see what you mean, thanks marsha. Yes, the father in one news clip asked people to leave the neighbours alone, so all their lives can get back to normal, and they can get back to the business of taking care of their sick girl. The little girl has been kept in the dark about all the harrassing, and with jhd, and being so young, i dont think she even knows or understands what is happening to herself, but shes only 7 and in late stage and on hospice care. Just sad that these things happened to upset her grandma and her dad, with all theyve already lost.
October 12, 2010 06:28PM
is's on tv right now! HLN w/issues w/jane
October 12, 2010 06:45PM
Great! I emailed Joy Behar on the CNN site. Trey I did explain your story. I did not know how to add the link for the the girl that was bullied. Can someone please do that?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login