Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Stem Cell research

Posted by Alicia Winslow 
Stem Cell research
July 24, 2001 04:48PM
I don't believe it is right to Murder that's right I said Murder little Human Babies to get cells for Stem Cell research. You liberal baby killers will disagree and this will never get to your website, but STOP the KILLING and use stem cells from other people who die of disease and accidents.
STOP KILLING BABIES NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you quote Bill Clinton as a good man.

But when he wasn't getting Laid he was supporting Killing Babies and women who wouldn't give in to him and Hillary's Lover,VINCE FOSTER.

But President Bush is a decent man who keeps in his pants until he gets home.
RE: Stem Cell research
July 24, 2001 05:44PM
Sorry to disappoint you Alicia but we don't filter opinions at this site.

You didn't respond to a specific thread so I'm not sure who you were directing your comments at but rest assured that there are many visitors to this who share your your opinions.

While I'm sure I agree with most of your political opionions I'm afraid I must disagree on the issue of stem cell research. On this point I align myself with the group that don't consider biological life sacred but do consider spiritual life to be sacred. And while I'm sure you disagree with this position it's easily arguable that spiritual life is given to man upon birth - not conception.

But "murder" is a legal term for a specific type of killing. Governments can define it however they want. And as bad as you WANT the killing of a zygote to be murder - it's simply not. We don't typically use the term murder for cows, dogs, sheeps, plants, and other forms of biological life.. (Although there ARE those who would LOVE to take your position even to THAT extreme.)

The application of the term murder to the intentional death of a fetus has been all over the map during the last couple of centuries but I don't believe it's ever legally been applied to the stage where all that exists is just a clump of cells.
Marsha
July 24, 2001 06:23PM
Unlike Steve, I doubt if I agree with a single one of your political opinions.

I don't believe we quote former President Clinton anywhere on this site and I fail to see what President and Mrs. Clinton or Vince Foster have to do with stem cell research.

And I'm not a liberal, I'm a left-winger.
July 25, 2001 02:42PM
hey guys this person is just "yanking your chain "with this message. sounds like simply a copy and paste letter from where it has been posted on other boards.
Dee
July 27, 2001 12:08PM
Alicia,
You are certainly entitled to your opinions about stem cells and the Clinton's (although I'm not sure the latter has any place on this board). However, as Steve posted, as bad as you WANT the killing of a zygote to be murder - it's simply not.
I'm curious as to your opinion on invitro fertilization. Embryonic stem cells are often taken from "discarded" embryos from IVF. After the implantation procedure, the "left-over" embryos are thrown away. Why is that acceptable? By manner of your reasoning, are the excess embryos not also "potential babies" and therefore the discarding of them murder? Or, should we make an exception for IVF because it MAY result in an actual birth?
If we are going to talk about morality.... why should it be moral to throw away or freeze "excess" embryos and not be moral to use them for research that may save thousands of lives? Is it more moral to keep the embryos frozen? Is it still a life if it is frozen? How long can we possibly keep them frozen before they are no longer a life?
In this context, it seems that the only thing that matters is that a "life" is sustained no matter what the quality of that life is, if in fact, you can call that a life at all. I happen to be pro-choice (although I have chosen to keep my child). But to me, the biggest pro-life decision one can make is to afford a life when one is taken away. Without this research, excess embryos are for naught.
Lauri
July 27, 2001 03:19PM
I have been visiting this site since early January, when my mom was diagnosed with Huntingtons disease. I have received much help from HDAC support, and for that I am very thankful.
Alicias comment so disturbed me, that I had to respond.I have been involved with the pro-life movement for 18 plus years, and I have never met anyone who was as insensitive or as hateful in their comments as this. Alicia I too believe that life begins at conception, body, soul(mind) and spirit, however name calling and hatred is not going to do anyone any good. Prayer, compassion for those who are hurting and education is what will make a difference.
I truly believe there will be a cure for Huntingtons in the near future. My prayer is for researchers to seek and pursue other avenues, as in the past. I also encourage all to keep on holding on to their faith in God and their hope for the future. My mom makes this decision every day of her life, and it amazes me to see such joy in her, even in the midst of this storm.
I was really upset about so many comments made to each other regarding stem cell research. I presume that since this is on the Huntington's web site that all responding are touched in some way by Huntington's We need to encourage one another not be hateful and insensitive.Lauri I agree with you 100%. I saw a father-in-law, husband and now a 27 year old daughter with four kids be afflicted. I have hope in research programs but feel the Lord can accomplish answers to Huntinton;s in His timing without interfering with human life.
July 29, 2001 09:45AM
Human Life is Soul and Spirit and is not affected by Biological Diseases,Disease affects the Physical Body that "Temporarily" Houses the Spirit and Soul.And since the soul enters the Body at Birth with the "Breath of Life" until that moment we are not dealing with a "Human", just a Biological Creature.The Soul And Spirit Never Dies,But we Shed these imperfect Bodies many times on our Journey.We "Suffer" Life in this Physical Form in order to learn, over and over again till we get it Right.
July 31, 2001 07:44PM
Just some thoughts Lauri,

I strongly disagree with you. Your comments about Alicia were right on though. BUT do we let thousands and thousands possibly die by not allowing for young stem cell research??? It is one our our most promising areas for a cure! The following is an e-mail that I sent to the prez today. Greg

July 31, 2001

Mr. President,

Like Nancy Reagan, I believe you could make a terrible mistake here! Sir,
not only should "Stem Cell Research" transpire, but it needs to be "Federally
Funded" too on a massive scale.

Respectfully sir, I hope and pray you do not want to play with people's lives here, as we are living human beings. Unless, one has a fatal genetic brain
disease (or any mortal or non-mortal debilitating disease) than one could not
fully understand. Possibly one might understand if other family member(s)
were affected here. Sir this is a ?mortality? issue for many and or a ?painfully
living? issue for many more, to say it lightly. This is also a morality issue in my
small mind. PLEASE CONTINUE?

Mr. President, you are struggling with aborted fetus tissue, etc. Overall abortion
is wrong, BUT we cannot just throw away this tissue that our society allows us
to create. Sir, there are hundreds of thousands of people alive today with genetic
diseases, which include mortal and non-mortal brain diseases and other disorders. Do we not come first before any live embryo no matter what stage it is at? We are alive right now physically with the right to life here on this earth until the day we die. Sir, death for my kids could come a lot sooner than it should, if you are allowed to follow through with your beliefs.

Scientists and researchers have identified that curing genetic diseases with "adult
stem cell" research looks to be promising. BUT, more importantly, they have
identified that "young stem cell" research looks to be very, very promising for
curing many genetic diseases. Curing one may cure several or lead to some cures.

Huntington's Disease (HD) is in my family. It was originally passed down from my
grandfather to my mother. One of his parents passed it down to him. There is a
50% chance that it was passed down to all her children. The ones that have this sick (mutant) gene will pass it to their own kids hence a 50% chance they have it and so on and so on forever if there is no cure. HD is terribly debilitating in every sense, and it is a very life shortening fatal disease which like many diseases needs to be cured. I just discovered last year that I have this disease, and I have 3 kids. I also have 3 siblings (2 with kids). Luckily one of my siblings just tested negative and thank God! That takes her and her kids out of the equation. It is bad enough that we have to watch our mother die with this disease. It will be totally unbearable and not at all comprehendible if any of my kids or siblings have HD. They could all end up with this sick genetic disease or none of them could. PLEASE reconsider your position?

By the way I am a Christian too?GOD gave us all a life to live?

Sincerely & Very Respectfully,
GOD BLESS, Greg W
July 31, 2001 08:22PM
GOD BLESS YOU GREGW AND THANKS FOR THE WELL SPOKEN LETTER..I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF...RESPECTFULLY A CHRISTIAN MOTHER AS WELL...SUNSHINE CINDY
Greg
August 09, 2001 12:46PM
Well tonight ought to be interesting. Mr. Bush has decided whether or not the govt will fund this embryonic stem cell research. If he doesn't want to fund than congress, etc will push legislation to do so. The networks will cover him at 9pm est. Cindy, thanks for your kind words. Greg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login