Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

B vitamins

Posted by lavonne 
B vitamins
September 09, 2010 11:37AM
NPR and Jean Miller alerted me to this small, but good study on high dose B vitamins (6 and 12) in early Alzheimer's: [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

May well be useful for HD [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

These B vitamins and folate are water soluble, so should not be toxic in high dosages, even taken long term.

I think it's time to check my homocysteine level. L.
Re: B vitamins
September 09, 2010 11:40AM
Yikes,

It's clearly past time to check my homocysteine level: here's the correct first reference: [www.plosone.org]
eve
September 09, 2010 01:28PM
Thanks Lavonne! I was just reading this this morning, but there was no reference to dose. So I'm glad you posted this because this article does give that info. I am not pHD, but I feel my mind is not what it was and I might try this too knowing it will only harm my pocket book!
September 09, 2010 06:03PM
some time ago , I ve read that niacine (also B vitamine) maybe also important for HD and brain.
Over all B vitamines are never bad idea to take.
September 12, 2010 01:42AM
Thank you Lavonne for the helpful info. When my mom was living on her own (pre cardiac event), she took some supplements and they did seem to help. I will bring up the B-vitamins at our family meeting this week (new and better rehab but it's a quick stay and on to the next). She is still taking her nouishment through her tube (speech has come to work on her swallowing which suddenly all but disappeared also) so I don't know if that complicates that. Although her cognition has been greatly affected, so I'm not sure if it would help- but I'm thinking, it couldn't hurt. . . thanks again. . .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login