Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

A questions about the HDAC Forum.

Posted by Brett T 
Re: A questions about the HDAC Forum.
September 05, 2010 11:42AM
Umm Brett, how about no. I will comment at will. LOOOOOOOONG comments ALLLLLL the time. Probably for YEARS and YEARS more. And I will almost never be moderated either! Steve and Marsha may quit from all the complaining and maybe this could be my site.... ohhhhh the articles I could write and the moderating I could do... I am droooooling!

Dusty your first answer looks better all the time. Considering there is no "confusion" "out there". Nor was there ever any doubt to the real answer. It was the best answer to a passive aggressive question intended to inform Marsha and Steve of displeasure and fish out a defensive posture out of them.

Very easy solution to anyone, about anyone else who one has a personal distaste for consistently.. don't read their posts. I am totally fine if only one person in the whole world reads mine. It's no skin off my nose. Or pick fights.. whatever.... gives me a reason to keep posting, posting, posting!!!!!!

Go for it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2010 11:55AM by Eric.
September 05, 2010 12:21PM
Marsha,

I think the fact the question is asked indicates it is not that obvious. What I am missing here is why some are so sensitive to this topic.

I really don't care one way or another. Was just asking a question. Why a vague answer is considered sufficient is not clear to me, when more could be said, but I don't plan on losing any sleep over it.

Someone I know who is new here, but has not signed up, asked me some stuff ( about a site, yours, I recommended to them ). This question in particular. Instead of answering something I was not sure about ( and never really thought about ) I figured I would let the site do it.

-Brett T
September 05, 2010 12:30PM
Eric,

Why you think this post has anything to do with you is beyond me. My interest in whether you get moderated or not is nil. I too like free speech as gives everyone a chance to show just how little they know. Post away, my friend.

Brett T
September 05, 2010 01:14PM
well i have an agenda.... i want to know eric, if you have a actual position on this website... and heres why, you pm'd me some months back when you and i got into it, and said you worked for marsha and stevei...

i'm not imagining this right?

well here is the thing, im not shy, i will say whats on my mind...
i think you are one of the most critical persons i've ever heard of phd's. i dont really come here much anymore because of it... now it is obvious that marsha and stevie like you... but i would like you to know how i feel...

you hurt me with your critisism of phd's, you insult my phd everytime to start bashing on them in general... your tough love stance, is bulls@%t in a place that is for the support and help to persons with and family members of people with huntingtons disease... truth is one thing, but your never generous concerning them... your comments to me, and i can only speak of me, are bitter and resentful...

NOW... dont get me wrong, i dont begrudge you that, BUT... IF YOU TRULY DO HAVE A POSITION HERE ON THIS BLOG, than it gives your words...ummmm
some sort of finality to them... for instance: when others have a different opinion, you get on and correct them... you have many good points eric, but you arent a professional, and you have no degree that i know of, but if it is true as you told me that you help stevei and marsha, than it is entirely inappropriate for you to forever come off as some authority... life experience does not make you an expert, im older than you are, and married my phd long before you married yours, so by that measure, im the expert...

okay i will say it, and i know you will hate me forever for this, but i will hope that you will get where i'm coming from... you always sound like a pompous, self righteous man. and that is unseemly in a moderator...

SO TO CLARIFY ONE MORE TIME... IT OFFENDS AND HURTS ME, THE WAY YOU WILL CONTINUELY VILLAFY PHD'S... I love this place, BUT i could never send my own phd or any other here, because your comments could be dangerous to someone going thru depression and having a difficult time...

its not that i dont think you have the right to post, just that i think in a position of authority here, toning it down alittle would be thoughtful on your part...
September 05, 2010 01:23PM
OH CRAP.... I DONT WANT TO HURT YOUR FEELINGS ERIC... BUT YOUR HURTING MINE... its a painful thing watching our loved ones go thru this, and im looking for support... i hate that i feelthis way...
September 05, 2010 02:11PM
I love this place, BUT i could never send my own phd or any other here, because your comments could be dangerous to someone going thru depression and having a difficult time...WHy do you come then?

I have made 1,030 posts, not very many this year because I am still fed up with having to have HD and get attacked for trying to help.
Eric has made 3000 posts. Marsha's site, has made 2,291 posts, Barb has made 5,181 posts, she is the site's highest poster.

I also remember a very long time when Eric decided to have a life instead of helping here. We were lucky that he came back. I think there a lot of hatred of HD which gets put on people posting, and from the point of someone who types at 12-15 words a minute with mistakes, it takes a lot less time to say thank you than criticise.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2010 02:30PM by dustyblues.
September 05, 2010 04:06PM
This thread began due to someone wanting to know whether information placed on here was overseen by a doctor. The use of the word moderator was not defined as someone who controls or limits what is said, but rather checks it to make sure it is accurate and up to date.

This was not a condition of whether they would join, but rather something they wished to know. I did not originally add this to my question because I did not want to suggest, in some way, the answer would undermine the value of the site. ( Again, did not know the answer ) I was just trying to get information for information's sake.

In so doing, it became odd to me the way the question was being addressed by the 1st couple of people responding. I did not get it so, I asked what was up. Eric you chose not to respond honestly when I first asked this question, then later stated I was being deceptive in my post. What ever problems you have going on do not believe I am here as someone to take your frustrations out on.

You were wrong and paranoid, but after reading further comments made I can now understand, maybe why. Down the road, if you want to call me out for something, do me a favor and try to make sure you know what the hell you are talking about.

Furthermore do not misconstrue what has been written to you by claiming I have asked you not to post. I have not done this. What I did was ask you not dictate what answers should be given to questions I ask. Not so unreasonable.

There was no fight here, just a new friend of mine trying to find out what kind of information was on a site she had never heard of. If people are now showing displeasure with you I would say you did a pretty good job of bringing this on yourself, and that you did not need my help.

-Brett T
September 05, 2010 04:42PM
Susan, i am really upset now. I HAVE hd, and i am NOT offended by eric, but rather HELPED by his posts. Alice and dusty too are all helped by him. Dusty, your post was very awesome, and you're right dusty, it was horrible when eric took a break from the forum. And dusty, you speak so well for all of us with hd, you are awesome dusty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2010 04I miss youPM by Barb.
September 05, 2010 04:54PM
Well I also have HD and some of Erics posts have hurt me. I also feel that sometimes what he has been through may bring anger here to the forum! Most times its not what is said but how it is said. the tone of arrogance and what seems as uncaring at times.
Melissa
September 05, 2010 05:39PM
Brett, not once did you ask if the forum was overseen by a doctor. No, of course it's not. You can't possibly have thought it was. I can't even get a doctor or researcher to write a single thing for us, not in the ten years the site has been up. They always say they'd like to but are way too busy.

Nevertheless, I do not believe I have ever given anyone incorrect information about HD.
September 05, 2010 05:56PM
Oh boy, for this reason I did not ask this question at first ( even though this is what someone else was looking to know ). I really do not know that much about you guys or whether in fact, Marsha you may be a doctor, yourself.

I find there to be many great things about this site, which is why I was recommending it. What I do know is you have done a good job in attracting some top researchers here, which I think you should be proud of.

-Brett T
September 05, 2010 05:57PM
This is just ticking me off BIG TIME. There cannot possibly be any confusion about whether or not I am doctor. If I have said it once, I have said it hundreds of times. I am a Ph.D. sociologist. There's an About US page, it tells who we are.

Steve and I and our friend Cristy started this site ten years ago. We've put thousands of hours into it and the Lighthouse which we took over in 2004. I have a sick mother, a dwindling bank account, part time work, and other things I should be doing. If I'm not good enough for people, maybe I should be doing something else with my time. And God knows, I do not need any more stress in my life!!!!!
September 05, 2010 06:33PM
Marsha,

Never has there been any question if you are good enough. I am not sure how you are reading this, but I assure you I never intended to suggest this. Nor did I mean to suggest you were being vague in your original response. I got it. You answered my question and I thank you for it. It was others I did not get. BTW, other than starting HDAC web site you and I have a lot in common.

-Brett T

PS I do not always remember everything that is written here or where to find information on these sites. There is a possibility I did not know these things.
September 05, 2010 06:37PM
Brett says, I am not sure how you are reading this

huh????????? duh?????????? how the hell do you think she's reading that, from you! Quit fixating and twisting and contorting everything to how YOU want things to read.
September 05, 2010 06:47PM
Marsha, this site is wonderful! It's one of the things that keep ME going everyday. I love to read your posts, especially when you are excited about HD research. Many people appreciate you and would be lost if this site were to disappear.

I can't figure out how this became a bashing Eric thread. I for one have appreciated his advice.
September 05, 2010 07:07PM
Barb,

I only wish to have what I write be read the way it was intended, nothing more. As for your involvement in this conversation I would suggest you think about about what Benjamin Franklin once said, " He that blows the coals in quarrels that he has nothing to do with, has no right to complain if the sparks fly in his face." You get a lot of leeway with me, Barb and I have even accepted an apology you made after you rethought what you said. I do not come here to create stress or start fights with people who enjoy engaging in them. If people here believe this is not the case, all I can say is we have a misunderstanding.

-Brett T
September 05, 2010 07:13PM
IIII get leeway with you?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who the hell do you think you are????? Don't you Dare make one more dig at me, you f'n jerk!!!!! I don't deserve this! And neither does Eric or Marsha! sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2010 07:16PM by Barb.
September 05, 2010 07:24PM
I did not just fall off the turnip truck yesterday, as my grandfather would say. It's obvious that there's an agenda here somewhere -- whether you wanted to know what Eric's role here is or whether you want to cast some aspirations on me, I can't tell, but it's clear to me and others that you had an agenda in asking that question.

Dr. Lavonne Goodman's HDDW site is of course moderated by a doctor - she is an excellent doctor - and of course we highly recommend her site. You should probably stay away from the HDSA site though. As with this one, there is no doctor on staff.

I am extremely fond of both Barb and Eric and I appreciate their support more than I can adequately convey. Since they are personal friends of mine, then yes, I think they both have a dog in this fight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2010 07:26PM by Marsha.
September 05, 2010 07:27PM
I'm sorry, but when you start a thread it becomes fair game. Barb has every right to respond as well as anyone else.
September 05, 2010 07:33PM
This is fine by me.

-Brett T
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.