Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

A few thoughts on volunteering for studies...

Posted by JimmyPollard 
A few thoughts on volunteering for studies...
August 30, 2010 08:38AM
Re: A few thoughts on volunteering for studies...
August 30, 2010 09:49AM
Well said Jimmy! My daughter who lives at Laurel Lake (An HD program that you started) is in the Crest E study at Mass General. I take her to Boston for her visits each month. The nurses administer her trial dose twice a day. It was not easy getting her into this study. The Administration at Laurel Lake attempted to block her participation going so far as to engage their lawyer to stop it. Their reason for opposing it was simply "we do not do clinical trials here." Fortunately, their lawyer totally disagreed with them and was 100 percent behind Allison being in the study. The Executive Director and the Director of Nursing who so adamantly opposed my daughter's participation are thankfully no longer working there. As far as I know, my daughter is still the only patient at Laurel Lake actively participating in a trial.Many other patients there would be good subjects and it is a shame that they are not part of these trials. Nursing homes that actively promote their HD specialty should be taking a leading role in these trials!
August 30, 2010 03:26PM
Great piece, Jimmy. Everyone should watch that. As you said, the science is moving at a stunning rate. We all need to match it with our participation.

Will
August 30, 2010 05:46PM
Thanks Jimmy. Good work!

-Brett T
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login