Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

The case for immunosuppression in Huntington's disease

Posted by chriscar 
Re: A potential cure for Huntington's disease
August 24, 2010 06:35PM
I m not surprised that immune system is a problem in HD. Im 29 and at risk. I`ve developed Irritable Bowel syndrom (IBS) after bacterial infection. And also research is showing that immune system is the problem in IBS. Immune cells (mastcells) are present which release substance that irritate gut nerves and change bowel function . That`s research of the last 5 years. IBS is not a functional gut disease, it`s a organic disease.
So I also follow HD research and `ve read from time to time that inflammation seems to cause neurocell death.
So maybe some over-the-counter substance which work for colitis and also IBS, rheumatism and countless other inflammatory diseases , could help.
Like boswelia, which also can bloc some cytokines, or curcumin and omega-3
Immunesystem and inflammtion seems to play a role in a lot diseaes. I ve read that maybe gut infection leads to of parkinson and cytokines can cause depression.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2010 06:37PM by sarmiento.
eve
August 24, 2010 06:43PM
I'd always heard that pHD's had BETTER than average immune systems. All I know is that my pHD husband rarely gets sick. I am not at risk and I am the one with irritable bowel. So I'd say your findings are not what is happeneing in our house.
jsr
August 24, 2010 07:39PM
So, does that mean everytime I get sick, I should smile a little bit? thumbs up
August 25, 2010 04:19AM
jsr...I was thinking the same thingsmiling smiley
Re: The case for immunosuppression in Huntington's disease
August 26, 2010 06:39AM
There are a number of papers showing that the immune system is activated in HD including this one

J Proteome Res. 2007 Jul;6(7):2833-40
Proteomic profiling of plasma in Huntington's disease reveals neuroinflammatory activation and biomarker candidates.

Dalrymple A, et al

Huntington's disease (HD) causes widespread CNS changes and systemic abnormalities including endocrine and immune dysfunction. HD biomarkers are needed to power clinical trials of potential treatments. We used multiplatform proteomic profiling to reveal plasma changes with HD progression. Proteins of interest were evaluated using immunoblotting and ELISA in plasma from 2 populations, CSF and R6/2 mice. The identified proteins demonstrate neuroinflammation in HD and warrant further investigation as possible biomarkers

These RSS feeds should lead to articles on inflammation
[eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

and immunity

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
August 26, 2010 06:51AM
There are a number of papers showing that the immune system is activated in HD including this one

J Proteome Res. 2007 Jul;6(7):2833-40
Proteomic profiling of plasma in Huntington's disease reveals neuroinflammatory activation and biomarker candidates.

Dalrymple A, et al

Huntington's disease (HD) causes widespread CNS changes and systemic abnormalities including endocrine and immune dysfunction. HD biomarkers are needed to power clinical trials of potential treatments. We used multiplatform proteomic profiling to reveal plasma changes with HD progression. Proteins of interest were evaluated using immunoblotting and ELISA in plasma from 2 populations, CSF and R6/2 mice. The identified proteins demonstrate neuroinflammation in HD and warrant further investigation as possible biomarkers

These RSS feeds should lead to articles on inflammation

and immunity

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
August 26, 2010 10:59AM
So if you think milk is a problem in hd, take it to chdi, have your case proven among researchers, and then they will bring it to us, simple.
August 26, 2010 11:51AM
No one doubts that the immune system is activated in Huntington's. We've covered past studies.

The issue is what to do about it. We cannot assume that immunosuppression is neuroprotective without a proof of concept study in an animal model. The heightened immune system response could be pathogenic or it could be neuroprotective at some point in the disease process, we just don't know. If it is pathogenic, reversing it is not going to be a cure. I don't know any HD researcher who thinks that. As I wrote before there are more than 300 changes in the brain caused by the HD protein and some are known to be major problems -- for example dysfunctional gene transcription -- and have no connection to the immune system.

Interestingly enough, people with rheumatoid arthritis have a lower risk for Alzheimer's. The reason for this is that people with RA produce a protein called GM-CSF which stimulates the immune system in the brain and clears away the harmful protein deposits in the brain which are associated with AD. The laboratory version of this protein is called leukine; when injected into the brains of a mouse model of AD, it reversed memory deficits. Leukine is a cancer drug with a known safety profile. A pilot study in people with AD is being planned.

So again, we need preclinical studies exploring the potential of immunosuppression as a potential treatment before we get too excited.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2010 12:34PM by Marsha.
August 26, 2010 01:55PM
And still why is the "case" made for it here anyway? It's been covered, as Marsha said, but beyond that... what is the HD community of this forum supposed to do about it? We don't make policy or fund research here as sufferers and caregivers. It's not something in trial phases and no animal model to justify lifestyle changes. So other than a point of interest... it's not the place for a case being made. No one is really opposed to the thought of this being a competitive avenue. Only the ridiculous blog post with the word "cure", which is a trigger to be rightly scoffed at. It's the presentation which diminishes the idea here. We know what cure means... and it was used in a sensationalistic way as to be offensive. Anyone in touch with HD would know that. So any message is lost in response to the messenger. They laughed with sarcasm at the word cure... which was appropriate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login