Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Bad Breath

Posted by lizceja 
Bad Breath
July 29, 2010 10:20AM
I have a problem with my mom's breath. She doesnt brush her teeth like she should but her breath well its really bad.. really bad. When I brush her teeth I have to wear a small mask so I wont gag. I have to brush her teeth very slow and even then her teeth bleed. I was thinking of maybe removing all her teeth and getting her a false pair but Im not sure how this would help her either..

Please advice...

Liz smiling smiley
Re: Bad Breath
July 29, 2010 11:26AM
A bad/rotton tooth will put off an awful smell!!

A tooth may look fine to you but be decaying or root dead and smell awful.

Consider if she needs the teeth to chew or if they are of benefit to her for swallowing saliva or anything.

Are you able to have a dentist examine her and see what the problem is?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2010 11:28AM by LizzieAnn.
July 29, 2010 12:16PM
Have her checked for diabetes
July 29, 2010 02:19PM
No I havent .. how would diabetes be related?
July 29, 2010 02:26PM
One of the symptoms of diabetes is very bad breath
July 29, 2010 03:09PM
Diabetes is a possibility and so is an abcessed tooth. I would get her to the dentist as soon as possible. Pain perception is impaired in HD. About ten percent of patients feel pain that appears to be generated in the brain rather than in the body. Others do not feel pain with conditions that would cause great pain to others. The two areas where I have known this to occur is with dental pain and also urinary tract infections.
July 29, 2010 10:02PM
She definitely needs to see a dentist. She could have something called anug and it causes bleeding and extremely bad breath. It's an infection that needs treatment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login