For HD families ... by HD families

Yay. SSDI denied. (sarcasm)

Posted by BrentM30 
Yay. SSDI denied. (sarcasm)
July 09, 2010 11:19AM
I hate these people
Re: Yay. SSDI denied. (sarcasm)
July 09, 2010 11:44AM
I am so sorry! What did they say in the denial letter?
July 09, 2010 12:12PM
I don't have much good to say about SSA either. They are not too willing to update their data for us. Sorry Brent.
July 09, 2010 02:18PM
Brent,

this makes me sick, and furious! The roadblocks that SSA throws into our paths need to be knocked down, now!

Damn!

Try to hang in there, I know it's tough and extremely frustrating. These government robots without a thought in their head just make me crazy.

So sorry!

Carla
July 09, 2010 02:21PM
Dont give up .. Keep trying. and keep trying until they approve you. Why did they deny you?

Liz
July 09, 2010 04:20PM
I am sorry Brent. I hope it can be worked out soon.

-Brett T
July 10, 2010 02:01AM
Hi Brent- I worked in the state of MA for the Disability branch of SSA for a few years. If you are willing to share what they said in the letter, I may be able to guide you as to what you may need to say in your appeal. In the U.S., each state has different guidelines as to what is considered "disabled" (I don't care for the word itself really)- I'm not familiar with your state's guideines but it may be that in another state, it would be easier for you (not that that helpsyou now). In MA, 40% of all claims are eventually allowed at some point. In Mississippi, only 13% are allowed (I always wondered what the hell someone had to do to get it there- these stats are also a few years old and may have change since) I do not wish to be intrusive but since i've had some experience behind the walls there, I might be able to help. I wish you luck either way and am sorry that you're going through this whole ordeal-it is indeed trying for many.
July 10, 2010 01:11PM
Brent,

I'm so sorry to hear your news. I know the frustration of receiving a denial letter. Don't shrink back. Get some good input, secure an attorney and hunker down for the longer battle. Don't give up! We're doing the same thing. :-)
July 11, 2010 11:52AM
Brent,

Same thing happened to us. Teed me off too.

As one that has seen the whole process, let me give you some advice that I hope will help.

When you are denied, you have a right to appeal. Use this appeal wisely. It may save you a lawyer trip. Don't simply write a nasty letter and talk about their momma (like I did). They will just photo copy the original denial.

You must add new information to strengthen your appeal.

I suggest you add a letter in the appeal from your neuro that refutes any claim from the SSA that's on the refusal notice. Most Neuros will do that. It's very powerful and effective to do that. It's an "expert testimony".

Second, ask your neuro for a "neuro psych" test. Include the results within 60 days to the SSA. If you can't do that, at least get the Docton's letter for the appeal. But make sure you send the test results later.

Then wait for the second response. If this fails, you have to go to the hearing phase, and that could be up to 18 months. At that point you will need to get a "disability" lawyer. They are on TV and in the phone book. Don't take the first one, shop around. I'd start doing that now.

They are capped as to how much they can charge for their services. I won't quote the price as it changes per year. Most of them won't charge if they fail.

Good luck.
July 12, 2010 12:54PM
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this Brent. Sounds like you are not alone though, and you got some good advice from Fred. I hope it comes through for you without too much additional effort. Even though it should not take this much effort.
dd
July 12, 2010 02:49PM
I feel your pain Brent. My HD+ girlfriend and I are dealing with the same crap. We haven't even gotten the initial decision yet, and I am ready to go absolutely bazerk! I actually had a disability determination claims rep tell me that we had to have either an MRI or ct scan to prove the diagnosis. I had to explain to her that it is either diagnosed clinically, or by a blood test. She still insisted and eventually hung up on me. It is truly shameful that HD+, as well as other tax paying disabled people, have to go through this nonsense. It is almost like they want to make it so difficult for people that they literally just give up on the whole process. Or they string the person along for 16+ months. A lot of these people might not even have 16 months to live! Why no one in congress has done anything to change this is unbelievable! We sit here and give hundreds of millions of dollars to other countries with no strings attached, while our own disabled and dieing are being evicted from their homes and starving. Just plain shameful!
July 14, 2010 12:37PM
Brent - it is extremely frustrating. I went through the same thing with my mom - twice! Instead of just telling me that she didn't qualify for SSDI because she was missing quarters, they kept sending me letters that said that she could still work. I finally told the rep that she was welcome to come to the nursing home and observe my mom first hand to determine if she was able to handle a full time or either part-time job! She finally qualified not through regular disability but through Medicaid disability.
July 14, 2010 06:55PM
Has anyone tried getting their assemblymen involved? I called the one in our area when my husband was having a hard time getting retirement disability. All it took was one phone call from his office to get the ball rolling! It's an idea. I have heard that many people get denied for disabilty the first around.
July 17, 2010 12:27PM
Sorry for the slow response. I guess in the letter they basically said that because I can still walk, talk to people, and use my hands then I am not disabled enough. We are of course appealing the decision. We will lawyer up if need be.
July 17, 2010 07:54PM
I feel for you Brent!
For whatever it's worth the circle of he!! doesn't always end even after approval (at least it hasn't for us).

My phd is on ssdi, has workers comp for a knee injury (pre-hd), and is on his employer funded disability insurance. Sounds good right?

Hahaha! Here's how it REALLY works...
Workers Comp. no $$ (only medical) for knee injury that happened pre-hd. Any workers comp. $$ are offset by employer funded disability. Employer funded disability is offset for ssdi. NOW...ssdi sends us a letter saying they are offsetting his ssdi benefit because he's "entitled" to workers comp!Bumping my head against a brick wall

How to get out of THIS circle of he!!...I have no idea. Everyone blames the other... meanwhile they could CARELESS that phd gets ~0~.

SSDI is seriously flawed.eye popping smiley
July 17, 2010 08:14PM
Indigo,

My husband is in the same situation. Everyone thinks he gets a lot of money because of his SSDI, comp and disability, but like you said one is always offset by the other. Someone told me the other day, well atleast he gets something. That's not much comfort when you have a mortgage, bills and 3 kids to feed.
July 18, 2010 12:04PM
Yeah i have already checked with SSDi and thank god my VA benefits are exempt from that. So I will be able to get my full SSDI benefits as well as my VA disability. That is if I can ever get it approved. LOL
July 18, 2010 08:00PM
Hi Brent - I am sorry to hear about your denial. I have had to apply for Social Security disability for my first husband, his sister, and now my two sons. All went through the first time except for my youngest son. His was denied for the same reason yours was. This was two years ago. What I did was write a cover letter explaining exactly what HD was and what it was doing to him at that time and exactly what his future would be. I included all of the articles that explained what HD was, the stages, and the ending. Then I called our state representitive and told her we needed help and that my son did not have time to play the games that our government played because my son was losing each day of his life. She got a judge to review it within 45 days and he was approved. These articles I used are listed on this site. These are the same articles that I had sent in for the rest of my family and they were all approved on the first try. I hope this may help a little.
Lynne
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login