Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Exercise - What do you do to exercise?

Posted by tellie 
Exercise - What do you do to exercise?
July 03, 2010 07:34AM
Hi,

Since the topic of exercise is always of interest, I'd like to ask what type of exercise you do, and where you are in the disease progression.

I tested positive, but have only a few cognitive problems at this time. In the good weather, I ride my bike 8-14 miles at least six times a week (exercising for one to two hours each time). In the bad weather, I go to the Y three to five times a week, and work out on the elliptical for 30-45 minutes each time. I feel that I am getting much more exercise during biking season!

Do any of you work out with weights? Or is it just the aerobic exercise that is important?

Thanks,
Tellie
Re: Exercise - What do you do to exercise?
July 03, 2010 07:49AM
Hi Tellie,

Ladycashel puts up lots of great threads about this on the HDA site: Here is one of them.

[www.hda.org.uk]

Hope this helps.

Brett T
July 03, 2010 09:18AM
I run between 50 and 60 miles a week spread over 6 days. I do body resistance weight work daily - pullups/pushups/crunches. Occasionally I play pickup hockey for an hour on the day I don't run.

Will
July 03, 2010 04:58PM
Before I got fibromyalgia and arthritis I walked and walked, played tennis, and rode horses. Now I go to the warm therapy pool twice a week for a mild exercise class. I think the pool exercise builds up as I keep doing it, gradually making me stronger and more limber. Just wish it would help me lose weight.
July 03, 2010 05:22PM
Next to you guys, I look like a wimp! But me and Champ (my Boxer) walk daily a little over a mile up and down hills. We just started a few weeks ago and we are both enjoying it.

Forgot to say... symptomatic with cognitive only. Last visit to the neurologist said it might be years before the physical symptoms catch up with me. smiling smiley

Patty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2010 05:24PM by Patricia.
July 04, 2010 03:25PM
Patty,

You're ahead of 95% of the people in the world. Good work. Sassy sends her best.

Will
July 06, 2010 08:55AM
I'm age 33, CAG 43, no symptoms.

I run 10-20 miles/week year-round. In spring & summer, I also do a lot of physical yardwork/house maintenance (I think being outdoors also helps my mood/endorphins). In fall & winter, when it's cold & dark, I replace that outdoor time with P90X exercise dvd's (mix of different aerobic routines + strength & core workouts), alternating with the running.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2010 08:56AM by smiling sara.
July 10, 2010 01:33PM
I am age 47, CAG 40, no physical symptoms

I love the outdoors so I stay active by running, hiking, mountain biking, and riding horses.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login