Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

disability

Posted by dd 
dd
disability
May 25, 2010 06:25PM
My girlfriend has applied for disability and we are awaiting their decision. I have a bad feeling that it is going to be denied. She was a preschool teacher. She was "let go" from her teaching job because of what everyone at the time thought was extreme anxiety and panic. After that she has had two very basic jobs and has been let go from both because of her inability to learn new things at the pace that the jobs expected. Does anyone have any recent experience with SSD and SSI, or any advice? Thanks.

Danny
Re: disability
May 25, 2010 06:58PM
Danny, have you had a chance to read Phil's stuff?

[www.hdac.org]

I will be thinking of you guys - hope it works out right away.

-Brett

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2010 07:02PM by Brett T.
May 25, 2010 08:24PM
My brother-in-law got approved in a very short amount of time, it was less than six months from the time he applied that he started receiving benefits. I have a lot of experience, professionally, with SSI and it generally takes 2 years for approval for other diagnoses, i.e. mental health, back problems, etc. It's been about three years since he got approved and at that time he was so symptomatic that he never needed the blood test to confirm the diagnosis. The family put it off much longer than necessary.
May 26, 2010 07:20AM
I used Phil's recommendations for my spouse's application for SS disability application and I made sure ALL the medical records were included in with 1st packet of verifications they requested from us..like sscard and some signed forms (and I informed them these were all the records so they wouldn't put the application aside thinking there was more to wait on -this includes the disability recommendation letter I typed up using Phil's example and had my husband's Dr. sign and put it on his letterhead). I think it was important to include in the letter that HD is a Fatal disease.

From the time we made our 1st contact for disability application till we received the approval letter in the mail it was 27 DAYS! (of course you don't get your 1st payment for 5 months) You've got to do the work for them so the disability determination worker can get right on your application and not put it aside waiting for Dr. records or anything else. When we turned the paperwork in it was very clear they should have everything there is out there in the paperwork you have just handed them. It took me 2 days of foot and driving to get all the medical records but I knew it was the way to go. I just hope a Phd has someone to help them do all of this. I sort of work in a similar field in government and had an idea of what organization needed to be done.

Best of Luck!
LizzieAnn
May 26, 2010 10:11AM
I've been waiting since November
May 26, 2010 02:18PM
We got ours in about six months. Has she been tested? If she gets denied, let us know, and we'll try to help you fill out the forms for a positive outcome.

PS: What state are you in?
dd
May 26, 2010 05:23PM
Yes she has been tested. She did not have blood drawn. She was diagnosed based on the neuro exam. We live in Kansas.
May 26, 2010 08:54PM
Get the blood drawn if you can.
MRO
May 26, 2010 09:59PM
My husband was approved in less than a month with no DNA test. He was diagnosed on symtoms the previous August.
May 27, 2010 09:01AM
I also recommend she have what is called a "neuro psych" exam that will test her perception and eye to hand coordination.

It was key in our disablity claim.

The Neuro she sees can get you somebody to do it locally.
May 28, 2010 06:18PM
Did anyone see the Marker (the hd magazine that just came out)? It has an article about how HD may qualify for an expedited approval...

I can't find it online...I may need to scan it....

~ Laura Q.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login