Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

new again?

Posted by troopie 
new again?
May 18, 2010 03:11PM
Hello everyone..

I have been off and on these boards for many years. I have not said much and I have not looked a lot lately. My mom and my aunt both have HD. I got tested a few years ago and my CAG was 44/17. I just turned 35 in December which was horrible for me because it meant I was closer to 40. I have two children one is ten and the other is 19 months..both girls. I have not been to a nerologist since i was diagnosed and am waiting to make and appt now for one. I have not been diagnosed as showing symptoms yet. I do participate in the predict study. I just feel right now I need some support. Most people around does not know what hd is and my boyfriend and close friends do not know enough. But my family knows to much what a combination...I just need somewhere to talk to people about what i am going through who understand..Thank you all!

Trudi
Re: new again?
May 18, 2010 04:04PM
Welcome (back). I'm 32, CAG 43, and also doing PREDICT, starting June 1. My mom is symptomatic HD but in denial. I diagnosed her last year and told my Dad a couple months ago. This place has been a great support for me. I hope it is for you again too.
db
May 18, 2010 04:20PM
Trudi may I ask what is it that is more challenging now ? Is it that time has gone on ; or are you experiencing symptoms ? All my best. db
May 18, 2010 04:39PM
Welcome Trudi. My husband has HD and I have found this board to be a wonderful source of support and info. 40 is an average age but everyone is different - my husband was just diagnosed at the age of 48... Try not to let the number scare you! Good luck and post questions if you have them - there is always someone who has a similar situation or can give some support or advice. It is very helpful to get advice from people drawing on personal experience!
May 18, 2010 07:17PM
hey troopie,

WE ARE HERE FOR YOU BABE !!!!

this is it, you know that, thats why you came back.
when you need to escape to get unbiased, unjudgemental,
and even anonimous feedback, you have a home here...

getting out in the open certain worries, and hearing similiar
experiences, and even crying when necessary, this is the place.
even when i dont have much to say, i check in everyday and
read the newest posts, to make sure my friends are alright,

yeah welcome back...
May 19, 2010 02:07AM
Hey Trudi, i'm sorry you seem to be feeling down and alone right now. And you know, i think you have every right to have those feelings, even though most around you don't understand. That's how i felt at one time too, and it's ok, because you will feel happy again too. Maybe not today or tomorrow, or the next day, but someday soon, you will feel better. Glad you're here
May 19, 2010 12:11PM
Welcome Back

I think I am going through the same struggles - I have a CAG 44, my mom was 42 when she was symtpomatic and i will be 40 in December. I have not seen a neurologist or taken any other tests for several years. I have an appt coming up in June. I am extremely nervous about it. Terrified is more like it. I have 3 boys - one 20, then a 9 and a 6 year old. My husband is super supportive but it is not the same.

Just know that you are not alone. Where are you located?

Stacy-NJ
May 19, 2010 03:46PM
Thank you everyone. I guess the thing that bothers me the most is if i am having symptoms? I feel like my memory has gotten worse and i spend half my day looking for things i have lost 2 or 3 times. when i start getting stressed or upset it seems like i can't make my tongue say what my brain wants it to, when someone says something it takes a little bit for it to register..now is this all age or hd? I know that is what everyone thinks. My mom began showing symptoms in her 30's so I am not real encouraged right now. A lot of my problem right now are the unanswered ?'s. ?Before I got pregnant i was on Prozac and it worked wonderful when I unexpedilly got pregnant everything in my body went bonkers... I was very emotional and hormonal...and since i quit breastfeeding i have not been able to get some antidepressants that work for me right now the prozac was not doing. My family dr is working with me on this and it has gotten better but still...
when my baby was born she ended up with jaundace and we were sent home from the hospital with her and a billy blanket to help her we went home on a friday and by monday she was had lost 2 lbs i think she was not eating her body was so exhausted....I had no idea she was so sick and when they admited her to hopital i cried i still to this day feel like its my fault i was feeding her and i did not even know how bad she was..she actually ended up having a bladder infection that she was born with so it was pretty emotional time.I just want to beable to say hey i had a bad day today i lost the car in the parking lot and someone understand how frustrating this all is.. The not knowing is the killer. I am trying to get in to a new neurologist. The first one i saw does not take medicaid i will have to drive 4 hours to someone who does.. I am anxious to see what they say and what i can do.. I live in cortez colorado and I did also have a mom who still does not believe she has hd. She has been in denial since she found out... that was maybe 12 years ago and up until maybe 2 or 3 years ago she would not take any medication or anything.
db
May 19, 2010 04:13PM
So you have a wee little one ; and she has had some challenges ; your hormones are again readjusting ; You used to take Prozac , that now doesn't work ; you are concerned about HD and where you are health wise . I wish I could give you a hug . You have alot going on . If it was me , I would work at getting the meds for the depression first . You might feel better able to handle your other challenges once the meds kick in . Allow yourself time for mental and physical breaks , to help you cope with your active life . I don't know if you are experiencing symptoms or not , but giving yourself a lighter daily schedule might help . Take care of yourself . db
May 21, 2010 12:40AM
Trudi it sounds like you have heaps on your plate at the moment with your mother, your young family etc. Your schedule is enough to frazzle anybody. Good luck with the neurologist ( hope you find one closer than 4 hours away) and no matter how it evolves I hope you keep on checking in here where you will find lots of people who understand and with whom you can share, rant, laugh and offer mutual support.

Best of luck to you too, Stacy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login