Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

NBC news

Posted by angel_flirt_83 
Re: NBC news
May 13, 2010 03:00PM
Marsha,

I must say that this news broadcast has weighed my heart further into grief. What do I say to my phd who understood that he would be cured. I guess it's another case of keeping my mouth shut and just sit in our continuing silence. Man this sucks and hurts.
May 13, 2010 03:05PM
oh mango,

i fill the same way, but 'what the hell'?... now that its out there...

you do the worrying and maybe its cool that your husband has something to believe in huh? ...dont hurt over this mango, k? it'll be ok...
May 13, 2010 03:06PM
Barb, Don't be mad. My phd did not understand, will not be able to understand and there is no way to help him understand. He saw the report and now wants me to make the appointment to be cured. It is heartbreaking!!! Why could that report not have been more about the fact that a cure is way down the line and not ready for people. Really they needed a disclaimer LOUD AND CLEAR, especially for those in later stages of HD and those who know nothing about it
May 13, 2010 03:10PM
hmmm, ok, i see what you mean mango. They did say it was in mice, and for people it would be way down the road, but, what you just said i can agree with, that the part about it being down the road, they should have made Loud and Clear. Ok, i agree, that part they could have made louder, and that probably would have prevented some of this misunderstanding. Thanks mango, i can see it that way now smiling smiley
May 13, 2010 03:12PM
skmf12,

Thank you, like everything else I hope it will pass and we will get back to our quiet, quiet, quiet life. I hope but you never know with a phd.
May 14, 2010 08:54AM
I'm sorry, I also said I was not coming back on, the only misunderstand here is the misunderstanding that the MICE WERE CURED... and the GENE WAS STOPPED IN THE TRACK... and when Nancy SAID>> THIS IS A SIGNIFICANT CURE FOR THE MICE>.. it's a misunderstanding.. becuase it was NOT TRUE... those caps are not for anger.. but for exclamation.

I am glad HD was back in the news.. I am NOT glad it was fille with such significan untruths.

I know this to be true because, I belive Marsha over Nancy and I think we allllll should.

Mango's heartbroken as she doesn't know what to say to her Phd.

a friend doesn't knoww how to explain to his Phd son, that NO his Phd MOM is NOT going to be walking and running just because his grandfather called him and told him so after he saw the news. Alll different types of people watch the news.. we MUST be careful what is thrown out there. The truth nothing but the truth and CLEAR words.
May 14, 2010 09:41AM
MY dear good Phd friends' aunt called her the other day to let her know there was a cure for HD yesterday
May 14, 2010 10:38AM
A little off the subject, but why were there no plugs for where people can look up info and get support group info. Whether that be HDSA or this forum. I know HDAC wasn't a part of that news story. I know personally i searched blindly on the internet and other forums without finding what i was really looking for, which are sites like this one and HDSA. I guess I feel that they could have take 10 seconds of the piece and made it about where to find help.
May 14, 2010 10:41AM
I mean this was a nationwide report and was also shown in Canada and they had no info that was actually useful. I think it sad that we dont use the number 1 medium for information to get the word out. TV is a powerful and useful tool that everyone has access to
May 14, 2010 11:44AM
Maybe because the HDF is a rival of the HDSA.. if you really want to know if the mice were cured or if the gene was turned off or if as Nancy said, this is a significant cure for the mice.. call HDSA and ask.. they will tell you no. Becuase they support Marsha's report.
Maybe because the HDF is a rival of the HDSA.. if you really want to know if the mice were cured or if the gene was turned off or if as Nancy said, this is a significant cure for the mice.. call HDSA and ask.. they will tell you no. Becuase they support Marsha's report.
May 14, 2010 04:18PM
The media always screw up this story. I don't know of many factual HD stories I've seen. Makes me skeptical of about anything I see on the news.

Mango, I'm sorry about your husband. You can just tell him that they are working on it, and it isn't ready just yet for people, but have hope it will be ready soon.

Honestly, I did that for years with my wife. It made her happy. She didn't notice that I would say it would be ready in a couple of years every time she asked, even two years later.
May 14, 2010 04:29PM
The really crappy thing is one day this is huge news for me, then the other... I am having- or a friend is having a bad day (HD-wise)... and the reality of this...sucks.

I go from hopeful to pessimistic, with an urgency to go to stuff.

ek

~ Laura Q.
May 14, 2010 06:39PM
To be honest Laura, forget all this bickering, at the end of the day this is progress. Its a step in the right direction, be happy about that and continue the fight.

[www.hdyo.org]
May 14, 2010 08:47PM
I understand Fred. As I had mentioned in an earlier post I just shut up and live our quiet quiet life. He has said nothing since that one comment and I will deal with any (if any) fall out only if it is necessary.
May 14, 2010 11:30PM
Your right Matty. Again. Hate that.

~ Laura Q.
May 18, 2010 08:12AM
Hi HDAC-

For more on Dr Yang's experiment and a non-technical explanation of the science, see the May 16 entry in Nacho's blog - [hdscienceblog.com].

Robi

Robi Blumenstein
CHDI Management/CHDI Foundation
robi.blumenstein@chdifoundation.org
www.chdifoundation.org
May 18, 2010 05:08PM
Thanks Robi,

I enjoy reading this blog, real insight into what's going on.

Tc, Matt.

[www.hdyo.org]
May 24, 2010 07:35AM
SteveI,

Would you be willing to add a link Nacho's blog on the HDAC and Lighthouse sites ( if there is not one now )?

Brett T
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login