Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

From Hereditary Disease Foundation

Posted by Suzanne 
From Hereditary Disease Foundation
May 05, 2010 10:49AM
I don't know if this is posted here yet or not, but since i just got it, thought i would share it.

From: nancywexler@hdfoundation.org [mailto:nancywexler@hdfoundation.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 11:01 AM
Subject: PLEASE WATCH - NBC Nightly News, Monday night, May 10 (subject to change)

Dear Friends,

May is HD Awareness Month. The following piece on the NBC Nightly News will air just in time!!

Please pass this information on to all of your family, friends and colleagues!!!

Currently scheduled to air on the NBC Nightly News this Monday night, May 10 (though subject to change), Robert Bazell, Chief Science Correspondent, interviews longtime Hereditary Disease Foundation-supported researcher X. William Yang, M.D., Ph.D., about his recent and exciting research findings on Huntington's disease at UCLA!

X. William Yang, M.D., Ph.D., is Associate Professor, Semel Institute and Department of Psychiatry & Biobehavioral Sciences at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. He has made many critical contributions to solving the Huntington's disease puzzle!

William created the first "Bacterial Artificial Chromosomes" (BAC) transgenic mouse model of HD. This mouse expresses the entire human, abnormal HD gene. These mice show multiple behavioral and brain changes, similar to people with HD. His BACHD model is now widely used internationally to better understand the illness. It is also used to test candidate therapies for Huntington's disease.

William pioneered a series of Huntington's disease mouse models in which the expression of the abnormal huntingtin protein can be switched on or off in different cell types in the brain. Using these models, he showed that the abnormal huntingtin protein, expressed in one type of nerve cells, can make their neighbors sick.

In a recently published study, using yet another set of BACHD mouse models, William's group demonstrated a molecular switch which lies in the very end of the abnormal huntingtin protein. William and his colleagues found that by modifying - or "flipping" - that switch, they can prevent the appearance of HD symptoms in these mice.

To demonstrate this, William and his colleagues genetically engineered mice expressing the abnormal huntingtin protein, with subtle changes. In one group of mice, he mimicked a chemical tag, called "phosphorylation." These mice were cured of the disease and did not develop any symptoms.

In another group of mice, he engineered the mice to resist such chemical tagging. These mice got sick with HD symptoms.

William's group showed that, in mice, mimicking phoshorylation can prevent the onset of the disease. His study demonstrates the vital importance of discovering new HD treatments that can work through this neuroprotective molecular switch.
Re: From Hereditary Disease Foundation
May 05, 2010 09:32PM
Thanks for alerting us/me to this!
May 10, 2010 12:38PM
Bump! This is supposed to be on tonight!
Going to NBC website now to verify....
May 10, 2010 01:37PM
Any indication on when when this will be on?

PDT, Central, EDT

Cannot find anything on it from their site?

I checked nbc.com / msnbc.com and do not see any reference.

Regards.

Kip Jone
May 10, 2010 03:38PM
Kip, I could not find it either. Checked nbc.com which just showed sit-coms & comedy from 8pm on, and [www.msnbc.msn.com]
which seems to have no info on upcoming TV broadcasts.

Will look on my TV guide channel when I get home....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2010 03:40PM by smiling sara.
May 10, 2010 04:21PM
May 10, 2010 05:03PM
It should tonight on NBC nightly news at 6:30 Eastern. Whenever Brian Williams in on in your area.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login