Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

He wants to move out

Posted by carlaj 
He wants to move out
May 03, 2010 06:50PM
Hey all,
Today, when I came home from my second job, Tim announced that he wants to move out, get a car and meet some girls. So I say, "what's going on Tim?" "Well I want to move out because I'm not really too bad and I can't meet any girls out here." I say, "well there's the Sheltered workshop here in town, maybe you could go work with them and meet some friends through there." He replies "No, I want to have a bachelor apt and meet some girls in a dance club." "What dance club?" I ask. "I don't know", he answers.
I tell him we would surely miss his smiling face if he moved out on us and besides, I say, "the state has revoked your DL since you couldn't pass the driving assessment, remember?"
My thoughts? Oh crap, I thought the driving thing was behind us. Wrong again. Now it's got the added bonus of him on the hunt for a girlfriend...WTF!
I'm tired and cranky and sick of Huntington's. But hey, let me get his meds and fill up his box for him, first things first.

sorry for the crappy post.

Carla
Re: He wants to move out
May 03, 2010 07:48PM
Oh, Carla, It's so hard.
May 03, 2010 08:36PM
Life in an HD family can often be surreal. Makes for great stories later - if everyone survives. My thoughts are with you Carla.

Group hug! Group hug
May 04, 2010 01:00AM
Hey Carla, i feel so bad for you, but honestly, i have to admit. As i was reading your post, i was feeling bad, you say he wants a bachelor pad, a convertible, and a girlfriend...but then when i read your next line, i better get his meds!!!! Sorry, but i just laughed and laughed and laughed so hard LOL LOL
May 04, 2010 10:20AM
ironic, who of us wouldn't want our adult son to say: I want my own place, get a car and find a girl! Sounds like a normal guy to meGood luck
Sorry, I know it's hard!
Putting yourself in his position, he's going to want to have "more". You'll probably have to help him find it in other ways, such as other outside interest and a purpose in life.
May 04, 2010 12:59PM
I dunno either Carla. Hopefully it's a "phase", but there's no telling how long it will last.

My wife would want me to quit my job and "move the to the beach" or "build her a new house", or what ever else she dreamed up. She couldn't sort out the reasonable requests from the absurd, and it was really hard to shift her focus once she latched onto some idea.

About the only relief I could find was to shift her focus onto something she used to like, like shopping. Get her off that hobby horse and then talk up the good of the current situation by reminding her of the bad things of the old situation.

Later, when she became worse, I got the neuro to provide me respite by having her go into a nursing home for a few days for what they called "occupational therapy". In some of the theapy sessions they tried to retrain her to cook and clean, that kind of thing.

I felt sorry for the people trying to help her that way, but it was all I could do to keep my small foothold on sanity in the "in-between" time.
May 05, 2010 07:37PM
Hey there!
Okay, I'm in a much better place today. Barb, your post made me laugh out loud!!! Honestly, like Steve said it makes for great stories if you survive it.
Tim also called my older son and told him that I was fine with him getting a car and all the other stuff, trying to set it up for him to come get him to look for a camaro. Then I hear from Mike,
who of course called me like what's Tim up to now!! Some crazy stuff going on here in middle America.

So last night I kind of chewed his butt a little and he's backed off for now!!! For now being the key words. smiling smiley

Thanks for being here
{{{{Hugs for all of you}}}}

Carla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login