Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Dizzyness

Posted by greeneyes 
Dizzyness
May 01, 2010 03:10PM
Stanley is still experiencing dizzyness, especially when first standing. Any thoughts?

If we go back to the potassium theory...he is now taking potassium pills, but even before, he was and is a big potato eater. I thought potatoes were full of potassium?
Re: Dizzyness
May 02, 2010 07:41AM
things to consider....low blood pressure, ear disturbance (allergy time), dehydration due to anything such as taking antihistimines?
I'd have a full blood work done if you haven't.
You said the doctor said he showed low potassium. What would be the underlying cause of low potassium in his blood? Is something else not in balance to cause low potassium? Such as Magnesium levels?
Believe it or not V8 juice is loaded with potassium and magnesium. No, I don't own any stock in V8 but I do love the spicy one! Just trying to look at some obvious things first for you to consider. I hope it's nothing more serious. Keep us up to date on his condition.
May 02, 2010 09:12AM
ya, I'd have a full workup done.. doesn't have to be related to HD. Go slow in getting up also. My husband has started with this also, and so far no clue altho he does have hydrocepheleous and also carbon monoxide poisoning due to a fire fighting incident. Doctor so far has just told him to sit up first and stay that way to adjust then stand up slowly. Try that if he'll agree and also do workup. Pat
May 02, 2010 09:29AM
actually Bill has been experiencing Lightheadedness upon standing...he just informed me about it at the cardio appointment! it's one of the questions the cardio asked while we were there or I may not have known! since there are now three of us mentioning the same issue doesn't it seem logical that it is HD related....or at least related to the medications they may be taking for the symptoms?
May 02, 2010 10:58AM
I have a thought, HD related. I would of course check into any of the other things mentioned but if they don't work, watch those eyes of his. Or eyes and head. How much involuntary movement is happening there? Purely my own speculation, but if you pay attention to that and try and recreate it personally... everything is hard to do when your eyes don't go where you want them to and even can make you dizzy. I have always wondered about the light sensitivity as well and whether light bothers them or just how much the see in light that is just plain bothersome and confusing with their eyes moving so erratically.

I also wonder how much this contributes to apathy for instance. How many activities are all that great to do when your eyes are unable to remain on the task but for a second or two at time?

I wonder how many meds correct this aspect, memantine or Huntextil or any of the others that seem to bring back some quality of life?

Might be way off base as well.
May 02, 2010 11:08AM
actually the light sensitivity thing is an issue so it does make some sense! I'll have to keep an eye on it! HMMMMMM
May 03, 2010 02:23AM
They did a full blood work up on him when he was in the hospital, could not find a cause for the low potassium. They said vomiting, which he wasn't, sweating, which he rarely does, diarrhea, which he didn't have, and dehydration, which is hard to believe when I buy all those cases of pepsi.......
September 10, 2010 03:06PM
Still has dizzyness. He quit taking that potassium RX, after choking on it several times. (says I'm trying to kill him, says he's joking, but I wonder....) Bought OTC potassium, just so he can have some in his system.

Thinking about asking for an MRI to see if cause for dizzyness can be determined. But also worried MRI may show more than we are willing to see at this point. Any thoughts???
September 10, 2010 03:39PM
Have they ruled out if might be BPV (Benign Positional Vertigo) this happens when the middle ear has some crystals which have fallen out of place. Symptoms are sudden dizziness with a change in position, described as room spinning. BPV is not constant though, it comes and goes with movement, feels like the room is spinning, and resolves in 30 secs to a minute.

A physical therapist can do a quick postural test to diagnose, and fortunately the treatment is usually pretty quick as well. It may not be related to the HD at all.
September 10, 2010 03:44PM
Have his potassium levels been checked lately? That should be done if he's taking potassium supplements. I don't think an mri will say what is going on with his potassium and the dizziness, but there's also no point in getting one, if you are scared of what it might show lol. I guess if i had something wrong, i'd be getting to the bottom of it, and sooner rather than later. What kind of follow=up blood work has been done bout his potassium levels?
September 10, 2010 04:52PM
some psychotropic medications cause orthostatic hypotension ( basically a drop in BP when standing). Any sedatives, antidepressants, antipsychotics?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login