Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Help!

Posted by Nancy 
Help!
April 27, 2010 08:10PM
I recently posted and got several responses very quickly after I posted so I thought I would get answers from you again before any doctors or anyone else.

My husband was recently diagnosed with a 47 repeat. His doctor wante dhim to stop working because he kept falling and dropping things on himeself at this job. This has put us in a very difficult financial position. I hope nobody thinks I am being rude, but are there any organizations out there to help families financially, emotionally or otherwise until they either get disability or get back on their feet?

If not, I would like to know who I could talk to to get something like this started so nobody else has to deal with this added stress at a very stressful time already. I wonder if there are grants that could be written for this type of thing...

We just feel like we are at a dead end...My husbands psychiatrist suggested today that we go to a low income apartment complex with our 4 kids. I was appalled...Like we don't have enough on our minds and now we have to think that we may have to give up our house possibly if things don't work out???!!!!

Where do we trun and what do we do? We live in such a rural area and we just don't have the resources that cities have.

I'm not trying to solicite for money, but I just need direction. Please help us with the knowledge I know you have.

Thanks for everything!
Re: Help!
April 27, 2010 08:18PM
Well first, there is nothing appalling about low-income housing. You may have to do what you have to do. Many others have done that too. Second, did you phone any of the links that people gave you on your other thread, and have you talked with an hd social worker yet? Their job is to help you navigate through all of this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2010 08:19PM by Barb.
April 27, 2010 09:25PM
I thought I was asking for help, not getting critisized. First off, to me, after spending time and money on the home we currently have, it is appaling to hear that in the future we may have to think about low income housing. Not that theres anything wrong with it, but it makes me feel like we are living life in reverse. It was a shock. I was giving an example of being at my wits end, not trying to offend anyone.
As for the links, I have gone to those sites and was unable to find the info I asked for. I am sorry for offending you, but I am new to this and looking for constructive help, not put downs. I have enough stress to deal with, I don't need a stranger to add to that part of my life.
April 27, 2010 09:31PM
No i was not being critical at all. I was saying many of us have had to do that, so dont feel any shame in that, that was all.
April 27, 2010 11:31PM
Actually in our family, the suggestion to link into state resources was surprisingly helpful. Since we were new to long-term disability we were also new to the many programs that exist to keep people in their homes. I don't know if that theme is prevalent in your state but our legislature has created several programs designed to keep people out of institutions. When we sat down with a social worker, we received sound financial advice as well as assistance with such things as in-home health care, homemaking services, balanced meals provided in the home, etc. to help keep the affected family together. I know very well how terrifying the future looks at first. I hope your state and/or locality has the emphasis on in-home care that we found in our town, and that you seek it out. I think the hardest part is the first appointment. And, although it would be really good for your first meeting to be successful, our first meeting was so discouraging it made us angry enough to keep going. Listen - best of luck. Please keep in touch with what happens.

Jackie
April 28, 2010 12:16AM
Nancy, you have a little thicker skin here. Barb has HD heself... her husband just had a heart attack... her dad is suffering from HD and one of her own daughters is going to be tested for possible symptoms of HD too.Everyone is under stress here. Also sometimes people who have HD on here are blunt... it's part of the deal.

The safety net is the welfare office in your county. If you don't qualify there they know the local charities and food banks. The key to keeping your house is income. There are a million people losing homes lately. that's what happens when you lose your income.I am not sure even with SSI that will replace his income. You need to apply for that right away though... It takes about a year to lose your home. I know because it happened to me. However the disability would have just made me lose it a little slower... it wasn't enough to keep it. Disability first time around takes 3 months to get benefits... it will probably be pretty close to year to get it through on a second try. So you have to move on this right now.There is no free money anywhere though like you are asking about. There may be a church that does this kind of thing... the welfare office can tell you. Some places have charities that grant cash and some don't. Contact the local chapter to see if they have suggestions. Welfare is run by the various states... so what's available through your state and rural area will best be found locally. Nationally it's disability through the social security administration. Sorry but that's just the long and short of it.
April 28, 2010 02:16PM
Nancy,

I had a similar experience. I had a social worker tell me that my best bet would be to put my child in foster care and take care of my wife at home.

She said about the same thing about depleting my income so we could get assistance.

The real problem is that there is no really good answer. Nobody is going to swoop in and tell you that they can take care of all this. I thought that there were organizations like you say that

"but are there any organizations out there to help families financially, emotionally or otherwise until they either get disability or get back on their feet?"

Short answer, NO, not that I ever found. You have to lose it all before anyone will step in from the "government". All I could do was wait until I could use care facilities or in-home nurses. There isn't anyone that helps people "emotionally"; unless it's your church. That's about the only real help in that way you can find. And since I'm not the religious type, I didn't have that help.

All you can expect from the "organizations" is for them to step in only after everything has come apart. And then they fix it as THEY see fit for their own goals.

It's my Dear Mother told me, if you don't take care of your own "equipment and responsiblities", somebody else will, and you can be sure you won't like what they do or the way they do it.

Maybe some posters here disagree, but if they do, then please name names and be very very very specific where this woman can get the help she needs.
MRO
April 28, 2010 02:23PM
We went three months with no income. We made too much money in the half year to qualify for welfare or WIC or anything government.

We relied mostly on loans from family with the understanding that we couldn't promise when the money would be returned but eventually it would. We both asked equal number of sibs for $1000 or more so we didn't have to keep asking. It took two years but all the money was paid back and it was very humbling.

Angel Food Ministries has discount food, without question they will supply a weeks worth of food a substantial savings. [www.angelfoodministries.com]

Check out catholic charities in your area or Vincent DePaul Society.
April 28, 2010 03:14PM
Nancy-

Don't be so quick to second guess the psychiatrists suggestion. It is much better to make the decision to go in reverse on your own than to have it forced upon you. You will have a home where ever your family is. If you stick with your house and run through your resources things will be much harder than if you decide on your own to give up your home and lessen the financial stress on your family. As a child I lived in low income housing and I loved it. I know the situation was much harder on my mother, but as a child I thought it was the best thing to have so many friends so close by and a real playground right outside. And moving from the country into the low income housing in a larger town put us children in a better school district and in the long run made more resources accessible to my family.

As for resources it is all very specific to where you live. If I were you I would just google community resources or community services in your area. In general you will not find housing help other than emergency housing or homeless intervention programs (if you are in danger of loosing your home). In some areas you can find help with emergency home repairs for low income families. There are lots of organizations that will help with food, clothing, health services, and mental health counseling and support. However you will not find organizations with magic wands or wads of cash.

If you have not already attempted to meet with a social worker, start calling now. Try to find someone you can meet with face to face. Take a list of specific questions with you. Take notes. It will be hard and may not go well. Always ask if they can recommend any other social workers, or individuals within other organizations who might be able to provide insight into your situation.

Give some thought to how a move could benefit your family. Homes come and go. It could be a blessing in disguise.
April 28, 2010 03:22PM
Fred and Eric and others are correct above. No one except family or personal contacts such as your church will help with paying a mortgage. Don't freeze up, you have to get out there with a plan.
1st apply for food stamps. If you have no income you meet the income guidelines for sure. Your liquid resources can not be over $2000 for food stamps(checking,savings, IRA etc.) if they are, then pay the mortgage until his disability is approved. If you get money from friends for family report it as a loan and it will not count as income in Food Stamp or Medicaid cases. If you report that they just give you money, it will count as income. Just go to your local office and apply or you maybe able to apply over the phone and tell them you have no transportation to the local office.
Okay now you've got food for the family to eat. Next, at the food stamp office ask where you can get help paying utilities in your county. Okay you have food and possible way to keep lights on and you can do all this in one day.
Next day, apply for disability for your spouse as you need to get this started right away.
If you can get food stamps or assitance with utilities you can focus any money coming in to go towards a shelter cost (mortgage/rent).
April 28, 2010 04:32PM
I think when Norad says "social worker" that means the local department of Human Services in your area. They are local here, and in the phone book.

That's first contact. You should schedule a meeting with the DHS and find out what the criteria is for services. They would have more than anyone. That's the "government" help.
April 28, 2010 08:26PM
wow.....VERY IMPRESSIVE...

yesterday i commented the same as you all did, and as usual
at the end, i opted to ignore my comment... but...
its what you've all said... pretty much we're on our own,
and we learn to get tough and learn survival skills.

but i must tell you, it makes me so proud of all you guys!
sink or swim? you all swam... congrats to all the fighters..

luv you all....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login