Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

At risk: Is this a symptom?

Posted by srh027 
At risk: Is this a symptom?
April 19, 2010 11:55PM
I am at risk for Huntington's (my grandfather had it, and now an uncle and cousin as well). I found this out after I started having memory problems last year and was eventually referred to a neurologist. When I checked my family medical history, my dad told me about the Huntington's risk for the first time.

I feel like my memory problems have improved overall in the last few months, although I still have days when I feel like I have abnormal memory problems.

Last night, my husband noticed that the iris of my right eye was jerking back and forth (very small movements up, down, left, right, and around) very quickly. He saw it happen for around three seconds. I didn't feel anything. We were just sitting in a restaurant talking. He is certain about what he saw, even though I didn't notice anything.

Does anyone know if this sort of eye movement is a symptom?

Sarah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2010 11:55PM by srh027.
Re: At risk: Is this a symptom?
April 20, 2010 12:17AM
I Sarah, sorry i don't know the answer to your question. What did the neurologist say about your memory problems, did he say your are symptomatic?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2010 12:17AM by Barb.
April 20, 2010 12:36AM
Barb,

He tested everything and didn't measure any problems with anything except my spatial ability. I had trouble arranging the tiles to match the patterns in a series of pictures (which is weird because I used to do those sorts of puzzles in high school and was good at them). Otherwise, I passed with flying colors.

I think the test would have shown what's happening with my memory if he tested my recall over ten or fifteen minutes. He was only testing my memory over the course of a minute or two. He referred me to a neurospychologist for more testing, but the appointment would have cost about $1500 in insurance deductible, so I canceled it. I'm thinking about getting a genetic test instead.

Sarah
April 20, 2010 07:51AM
welcome Sarah. From another Sara.

I can't answer either. But depending on how much those symptoms bother you, the appointment may be worth going to. (I know, I never reach my deductible either, so the first doc visit of the year always hurts financially).

Is your grandfather, your Dad's father, or your Mom's father?
Your Dad doesn't sound symptomatic.... Would he consider testing and save you the trouble/cost (if it's his father)?

I'm so sorry you have to worry about this. I hope you can get to the bottom of it soon (and/OR find a way not to worry too much).
April 20, 2010 08:31AM
My phd hubby had jerky eye movements called saccades early in his disease before he was diagnosed with hd. I don't believe he had them at his last Dr. appt but that could be due the medications he is now on?
Again and Again you'll hear that the genetic test will tell you for sure. Make sure you have all your Health Insurance, Disability and Life insurance needs in place before any testing!!!! You won't be able to get any of them after a positive diagnosis. You can drop any unnecessary insurances after you get your negative results.
April 20, 2010 10:43AM
Sarah,

I am not at risk for HD at all. My eyelid jerks from time to time, and I have a nervous twitch here and there in fingers. I also get cramps when I exert myself, and I have memory issues. But all of that isn't because of HD.

My point is you can drive yourself crazy looking for symptoms. There have been litterly dozens of people on this board that have sworn up and down that they have symptoms because they are at risk. But once they took the test, they were negative.

Which only leaves open the other 10,000 reasons your eye can twitch smiling smiley
April 20, 2010 11:25AM
Welcome!
Luz
April 20, 2010 12:36PM
Welcome Sarah!
Anything can be a sypmton and everything can be something else, so take it easy and avoid symptom hunting. As long as it doesn't interfere with your normal life, try not to worry. If it does interfere, because you can't stop thinking about it, consider testing. It's a horrible process (take care of insurance first!) but it will give you and answer.
Take care,

Luz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login