Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

AARP Life insurance

Posted by franj 
AARP Life insurance
March 30, 2010 01:22PM
Has anyone applied for AARP term life insurance from new york life? there are only three medical questions non of the questions relate the HD or are even close. I have been thinking about applying for it for myself and my phd, just wondered if anyone has had any experience with it? seems too easy!
Re: AARP Life insurance
March 30, 2010 03:07PM
What are the 3 questions? I guess you have to be over 50 yoa for AARP and how are the rates?
jl
March 30, 2010 05:15PM
Does the life-insurance policy have any "pre-existing condition" clauses?

jl
March 30, 2010 08:43PM
the three questions are this

in the past to years have you consulted at doctor for heart trouble, stroke, cancer, lung disease or disorder diabetes liver or kidney disease immune deficiency or aids

2) in the pat two years ahve you been admitted to or confined to a hospital etc for treatment or special care

3) in the past 3 monts have you consulted a doctor or had treatment or diagnostic tests of any type

I cannot find a pre-existing condition clause on the form anywhere.
March 31, 2010 06:41AM
Wouldn't question # 2 knock us out?
March 31, 2010 07:14AM
I would think #3 would knock out anyone on any kind of medication(had treatment).
jl
March 31, 2010 07:59AM
Both 2 & 3 are "pre-existing condition clauses", of a sort.

#2 regards hospitalization.

#3 requires you to wait 3 months after you've seen the doctor for ANYTHING regarding HD, before you apply for this insurance. This includes not only testing and treatment - but even consultation!

So, you CANNOT wait until AFTER you've consulted the doctor to get this insurance.

You must acquire the insurance at least 3 months BEFORE you go to the doctor even to discuss HD!

Fran, "in the past 3 monts have you consulted a doctor or had treatment or diagnostic tests of any type" will getcha.

They don't HAVE to mention HD (or anything close) as long as they have that those words. "any type" certainly includes HD! They don't have to specify.

If you consult a doctor regarding HD, there will be a record of it. It will be a private medical record, of course - if you pay for the visit, yourself.

The problem is that when you apply for the insurance, you will have to answer "yes" to #3 - and provide them with a signed release to GET those records from your doctor!

Otherwise, if you later file a claim, they may deny it.

jl

But again - if
April 01, 2010 06:33AM
Number 2 is non issue for bill, has not been hospitalized etc. it is number 3 that has me confused. Bill has not been to a doctor since August...aside from the HD he is pretty healthy. However he is taking meds....however we have not seen the coe people about them since we were there in August. But I wasn't sure if the fact that he is taking them percluded him automattically.

thanks for your responses.

Francine
jl
April 01, 2010 10:43AM
What did you see the COE for?

jl
April 01, 2010 10:53AM
JL,

We went for the yearly co hort visit!
jl
April 01, 2010 01:03PM
Ah! So there are no records of him consulting with anyone about HD.

How about any family history of HD on record?

jl
April 01, 2010 02:31PM
thats the thing we have no history of his family, they lost track when Bill was very young, hence we didn't know HD even existed until diagnosis 5 years ago....well before the 3 year questions. my only concern is the meds he's on but we get them through coe!
April 01, 2010 03:39PM
I am not sure what type of policy this is. If it's the type where ya buy 10K chunks and you only buy one or two levels, the questions are not so relevant. They won't spend time looking into the claim very deeply. These are questions designed as deterrent and do protect from people who get a cancer diagnosis or something and frequent the doctor for that illness. They just don't want ninth hour customers who have short times to live and know it. They do treat a 10k claim a lot different than a two million dollar claim. If you do get this policy in late or end stage HD... it will probably come out. Hold it for 5 years... and it won't. If it is the kind I am thinking about... people pick it up when they can afford it as an after thought almost and drop it when things get tight... and they almost count on turnover like that.
April 01, 2010 08:13PM
Eric is correct. These policies are expensive compared to other life insurance policies. The appeal is that underwriting is less stringent and they are easy to issue. The companies know what they are doing. You have nothing to lose.

When question 3 says no doc visits in the last three months, if it has been 4 months since he saw a doctor, you are fine.

Over a year ago, I bought life insurance through work. In that offer, if I bought $100K on myself, my spouse could get $50,000 no questions asked. I bought it. The only kicker was that if she passes away in the first two years, they would not pay and would refund our premium. It costs an arm and a leg. That's OK with me because I calculated that there is a big chance that I will get back in death benefit far more than I will pay in the next 10 years. If I could get another deal like that, I would jump at it again.
April 02, 2010 08:34AM
thanks everyone for your input! I'm pretty sure we are safe with this one....I have reread these forms so many times I could probably recite them by now! lol sometimes it just helps to have someone to bounce these things off of....thanks agian

Francine
April 02, 2010 02:26PM
Sorry, I meant # 3, not 2.

Just saw the commercial for this on TV. They stated no medical questions.

Let me know how this turns out for you Fran, it may be something I should look into. I've got some through work, but if I lost my job, we would have none.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login