Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Tetrabenazine/Risperdal - Marsha?

Posted by LizzieAnn 
Tetrabenazine/Risperdal - Marsha?
March 16, 2010 04:48PM
Can both of these meds be taken together or would Risperdal have to be discontinued if a phd started on Tetrebenazine?

Any reasons or details of how the meds work would be appreciated.

My phd emotionally does well on the Risperdal but his excessive chorea is affecting his quality of life and he states it does. I feel it may be time to attempt a medication adjustment, something I have not been looking forward to as emotionally he does very well on Risperdal.
Re: Tetrabenazine/Risperdal - Marsha?
March 16, 2010 07:07PM
I don't know about risperdal, but my daughter takes seroquel and depakote with tetrabenazine. She's doing very well with this mix. We saw her neurologist today at Mass General and she was very pleased with how she's doing. She did say that like with most drugs, some people do very well with tetrabenazine and some people don't.
March 16, 2010 07:41PM
I don't know the answer as to whether resperidone would have to be discontinued. It's certainly worth talking to the doctor about though if his chorea is really bothering him.

Resperidone blocks the D (dopamine) 2 receptor whereas tetrabenazine is a dopamine depleter. It also depletes serotonin (which is why it should be used in concert with an antidepressant.
March 24, 2010 12:07AM
just adding 2 cents...
I know a Juv. HD patient, happiest person ever especially with her condition. Took the TetraB-Depressed and suicidal. So if I am already depressed at gene postive stage I think that drug is out.

Dad used Resperidol for years, no idea effect of that ONE because he took sooo much meds.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login