Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

pj V welcome and a ?

Posted by db 
db
pj V welcome and a ?
March 14, 2010 11:26AM
Hi , welcome to the forum . May I ask how does your Mom find the group home ? and what is it like compared to a nursing home setting ? And how did you find that type of support ? All my best . db
Re: Bj V welcome and a ?
March 14, 2010 07:05PM
DB-
The group home my Mom lives in was started by a great family in Minnesota that was affected by HD. The woman who opened up the house was a realtor so she found a house that was handicap accessible for her husband and opened it up to other HD patients. I am not exactly sure how it is funded, but it worked out extremely well. Another home was opened and that is where my mom had the opportunity to move in.

The home is just like any home in a normal neighborhood. From the outside you would think a family lived in the house. Inside it also looks like a normal house, but 3-4 HD patients live in the house and have 24 hour staff at hand.

We found the group home because we knew the family who started it and were very lucky to have this opportunity. I wish there were more opportunities like this because it is a great opportunity.

Hope this helped answer your question.

BJ
Re: pj V welcome and a ?
March 15, 2010 07:54AM
This is a great idea!
db
March 17, 2010 01:42PM
Clapping I think it sounds like a real help for some pHD's . I think you were fortunate to have the group home so close for you . May I ask how do all of the group home occupants get along ? My best . db
Re: bj V welcome and a ?
March 17, 2010 02:55PM
My family and I were very fortunate. The occupants have all had their individual battles over the last three years moving into the home. The home started with three women and one man. The women had some problems with their guy roommate over time (I don't know all the logistics), but he has now moved into the other home. The three women now get along real well and seem to enjoy eachothers company.
March 17, 2010 03:41PM
wow this is my dream set upsmiling smiley...i think my mum would have loved something like this. Especially in the earlier years when she was first placed in the nursing home at 46 and was still fairly capable in many areas.
Its great to hear your story BJ about your families experience. Awesome.
March 17, 2010 03:53PM
That does sound great. How is it funded?
March 19, 2010 04:32PM
I know it is funded somehow through the county/state, but I am not sure how. If you are really curious I could figure it out, but shoot me an email hoopathon@yahoo.com and let me know.
March 19, 2010 10:02PM
That is such an amazing idea! My father passed away from HD in 2003, and now my older sister is losing her battle with the disease as well, and our only choice here was which nursing home to put them in. Don't get me wrong, they treat her ok in the home, but she's so young, only 36, and I'm sure she's terrified and out of place there. I wish we had other options, but we just couldn't safely care for her anymore.

That house sounds amazing. How wonderful would it be if word got out and more places like this became available?!

Good luck to all, and thanks for sharing.
March 21, 2010 02:23PM
BJ, I hope you don't mind me sharing this, but you did a great job and had some great things to say and wanted to give the people here a chance to watch it too if they have not.

I 1st got to see your uplifting message thanks to Matt.

If others are reading this and have a couple minutes take look.

[vimeo.com]

Brett T
March 21, 2010 04:38PM
It was a very good speech, I enjoyed it. Should spread it around again actually.

[www.hdyo.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login