Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Gene Positive in MA/NH border...

Posted by LauraLu1212 
Gene Positive in MA/NH border...
March 13, 2010 07:28AM
Hi!

I am new here. I am 29, Gene positive. I grew up and work in Methuen MA and live over the border in NH. I have a lot of HD friends, mostly online/phone and I love it. Would be great to have more in New England...

I have been just getting into some advocacy stuff this year, going to DC next week for HR 678...I am so honored. I was diagnosed gene positive in 2008- and I have had a really crappy few years. I used to be the life of the party, always laughing, and I need to do that again. I went through my "poor me" phase, and all that-- I am now in a selfish phase. I need to have some fun for god sakes. I am a late comer to the Youth Alliance so next year, that is over will be 30... There should be a alliance for... 30-45 year olds. Hmm. Anyway, my friends are still going out and getting wasted, don't understand my issues. I (probably cause of Dad getting sicker with HD) seemed to rush through my early 20's, got married... to a great guy...but I think I may have married him because, we were living together-- and he didn't beat me....

Sounds horrible, I know. I had such a messed up childhood. So, now I have a 4 year old and I am totally questioning EVERYTHING. Did I miss out on finding true love? (Or am I having a "itch" because of the diagnosis?) Either way, I am really looking forward to having a life... my son is super, but a handful and is in school PT now, FT in the fall.

Sound too desperate???
Re: Gene Positive in MA/NH border...
March 13, 2010 04:17PM
Welcome!
db
March 14, 2010 11:31AM
Tipping my hat to you welcome to the forum . db
March 14, 2010 02:42PM
Hi LauraLu, I live in Mass and have HD too. Welcome.

Brett T
March 14, 2010 03:14PM
YAY I am not alone!! What part of Mass? Feel free to email me on the board or my email-- lauraquinn@comcast.net
March 15, 2010 10:11AM
Welcome! I am also gene-positive (found out just 2 weeks ago), and similar age as you (32), also with an affected parent that I'm concerned with.

I'm happily married, with no kids. I'm sorry to hear that you are questioning your marriage, and that you've had a rough time since your testing results.

I don't know if you'd call it denial or not, but so far I have escaped post-testing depression by keeping up on all the positive/hopeful news with HD. I started supplements (Creatine, CoQ10, Fish Oil, Blueberry/Pomegranite extract), and have a lot of hope that I'll be able to push this off long enough for one of the great treatments in the pipeline to come through. (Just read the articles at the Lighthouse link on the left; I think the most exciting/promising is Huntexil/ACR-16, but there are so many!).

I hope you can find similar hope and support here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login