Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

My Mom - Nursing Home or not

Posted by juliew 
jl
Re: My Mom - Nursing Home or not
March 11, 2010 02:41PM
I wasn't offended by Peter's post - in fact, he was agreeing quite frankly that no one but J & her family could make the decision, in the end.

You can only ask for and assimulate the responses of those of us who have been thru it - and decide accordingly.

jl
March 12, 2010 09:50PM
I am always happy to hear from Peter.ANy chance of coming to Canada Peter. I'm still alive, ha ha. and have dead blue naugas on my dining room chairs.
Dusty
jl
March 12, 2010 10:43PM
E-E-EEW!

Dead naugas!

jl
March 13, 2010 02:53AM
blue ones, not some awful colour like beige
March 13, 2010 11:23PM
G'day all, I posted my view and nothing else..that I'm entitled to do. I'm careful not to openly criticise, agree with or disagree with what other say on here, as it can cause discord. If everyone was just to make the point as they see it, without criticism of others, and leave the person who started the thread to make their own mind up on the basis of what is posted, I think this forum would be a happier place.

I will not argue with those that criticise or disagree with me (Unless it's politics, ha), as I've made my point, and don't have to explain myself to anyone.

Dusty, if I do get to Ontario again, you'll be the first to know about it..make sure you feed the naugas mate! They can turn to sKIN and bone easily..ha...take it easy...peter.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 01:06AM by peterBris.
db
March 14, 2010 11:17AM
Tipping my hat to you Peter's comments didn't appear to me to be anything , but , helpful . I guess I felt he was talking outloud , to us , saying after all is said and done , it is the individual family that really only knows of all the circumstances involved with their families lives . That makes sence to me . Now Eric mentioned that no one posted after Peter's comments and he thought some more posts might be helpfull . And that is a good thought . I personnally don't like being the last one to comment on a posted subject , I feel much more secure and comfortable if someone posts after me . I personally feel , that making a decision as to when and if you decide on nursing home care is the hardest decision one can make . I think something that makes it easier if you have hit the time when you or your loved one needs to go into the nursing home ; is the visiting and support once they are there . For example ; trying to be there for a mealtime to help . There are good nursing homes , that we can feel comfortable with , especially when you are invoved with your pHD . all my best thoughts . db
jl
March 14, 2010 01:37PM
Me too!

And,Peter - it's unfair to say one can argue with you on politics - when the one (moi!) who most LIKES to argue politics lives so far from your "district"!

jl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 09:37PM by jl.
March 15, 2010 12:56PM
You don't seem to realize that Peter has been through this.We were with him with Norma his wife with HD. Norma was the first to take tetrabenazine and she went downhill. Before the tet Norma and I were pretty much on a par of coping well, enjoying our lives and families.I'm 60 with a cag of 47.Everyone else with my CAG is in long term care or dead. I will never take tet because of Norma.I was also the person who found the drug reaction in a canadian data base which was not in the US or Australia and I sent the info to Peter who gave it to the doc.Please just respect each person who posts here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 12:58PM by dustyblues.
jl
March 15, 2010 04:42PM
Who, ME?

I know about Peter's Norma........

I know about his difficult decisions.

Peter has my undying "respect" - I wish that EVERYONE would express themselves in the fair and non-judgemental way that Peter does!

jl

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 04:53PM by jl.
March 15, 2010 09:17PM
No Jl. I posted this further back after the post from lizceja.I know you know Peter.Take care.
jl
March 15, 2010 09:48PM
Oh, good!

jl
March 16, 2010 11:05AM
Why is everyone making such a big deal about this.. It offened me..If it didnt offen anyone else well then good. I was only commeting thats all... I think we all know that the desicion is up to her. NO one can make it for her. We are here to help each other.

And all of us have the right to say what we'd like. I'm sorry.. I didnt think my comment was going to be such a huge deal ! THis whole sitution with my mom is very recent. So I think it just hit home .. SOrry guys !
March 16, 2010 11:18AM
I'm not ready for all this.. I took that comment way to personal.. I'm not ready this forum yet. This is too much for me. When I'm ready..I'll be back.. I'm putting HD in the bottom of my list. I'm done with it !
jl
March 16, 2010 12:31PM
I didn't think it was a "big deal".

This is a forum. People will disagree......

jl
March 16, 2010 03:54PM
No big deal Liz. It sometimes happens on here when someone disagrees with a post...ha. It polarises the people to an extent.

I remember back in the days of the lighthouse, I posted something that was hugely unpopular (I forget what it was now) and got pilloried for it.

Maggie was throwing cherry pies at me, Kelly mashed spud mixed with gravy, and Fred rotten cabbages. I really was in "shock and awe", I think the invasion of Iraq was named after that incident! That was in the good old days of "The Great Food Fights". Does anyone else remember them?...take it easy....peter.
March 16, 2010 04:25PM
-I do. I worry when people have been through HD and come back then get hit for helping especially when it is something I suffered through 5 years ago. I also think there are new people on the forum who are mad at HD and take it on people trying to help. It's not a burden I can handle.
March 16, 2010 04:57PM
I think i will start a new thread, so Julie isnt offended at what's happening to her thread.
March 16, 2010 05:18PM
I remember the food fights but I don't remember Peter starting them. I thought he was always a gentleman.I do remember the hagiseroos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 05:19PM by paulabhouck.
March 16, 2010 10:41PM
It appears that someone has got their knickers in a knot over my previous post, the reference about the good old days etc was meant to lighten things up...JOKE!! To let Liz know that these things happen, and have happened for time immemorial on this forum.

The last thing I want is another food war, I can still taste Kelly's mashed spud and gravy, not to mention the memory of Fred's rotten cabbage hitting me in the side of the head from the "great food war" (Maggie's cherry pie was nice though)...take it easy...peter.
March 17, 2010 06:00AM
At the risk of destroying Peter?s reputation and his own self image, that me say loud and clear that he is one of the good guys in the white hats. In a time when each day was an eternity for me filled with Tony?s anger, paranoia and sometimes my outright fear, Peter was there for me. An email or a phone call was often the only bright light that I could see during each day. He offered advice, suggestions or questions that helped me to get through the roughest months of my life and has my gratitude. He prevented me from dropping into a puddle in the corner and covering my head.

Anyone?s opinions are there to be read and either adopted or discarded. That is the decision of the reader but they offer different perspectives of an issue which is beneficial.

That said, let me add this! Cherry pies are too good for you, Peter!!!!! Here comes a sour lemon one at you!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login