Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

NeuroSearch announces positive top-line results from Phase III Huntexil? study in Huntington's disease (the MermaiHD study)

Posted by robi 
Hi Everybody-

Copenhagen, 3 February 2010 ? NeuroSearch (NEUR) today reported positive top-line results from the MermaiHD study, the European Phase III study with Huntexil? (pridopidine) in Huntington's disease.

The MermaiHD study met the primary endpoint to show an effect on voluntary motor function. In addition, data from the 437 Huntington patients, who participated in the study (= ITT population) show that six months' (26 weeks) treatment with Huntexil? results in significant improvements in a broader range of voluntary and involuntary motor symptoms associated with the disease. The study was conducted in 32 centres across Europe, and showed a very high compliance with 92% of the patients completing the study and 82% in full compliance with the study.

For more see:

[www.neurosearch.com]

Robi

Robi Blumenstein
CHDI Management/CHDI Foundation
robi.blumenstein@chdifoundation.org
www.chdifoundation.org
Yahoo! This is wonderful news, folks. ACR16 works!
Does this improve the use of muscles needed to swallow? Can it help prevent people from choking?

Brett T
Great news smiling smiley Is this drug going to help with movements mainly then?

[www.hdyo.org]
Such a happy day! We all knew this was a big possibility, but to see it come to true is just amazing...
That is GREAT!

After reading Marsha's article, now I get it that testing the drug for SYMPTOM improvement had to come first; then they can see if/how it helps for overall disease improvement.

[www.hdlighthouse.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2010 10:32AM by smiling sara.
We don't know what else it does, Matt, because you don't want to set up a trial for potential failure by hypothesizing that it relieves every symptom. However, there is evidence from earlier trials that it may also relieve some psychiatric and cognitive symptoms. It is also possible that it may even modify the disease. We will have to see, but the success of this trial is a huge step on the way to approval of a significant new treatment. I am ecstatic.
If you're ecstatic Marsha it must be good news.

[www.hdyo.org]
This might be a strange question , but , how much would that type of drug be ; big , big ,big , bucks or moderately big bucks ?
THIS IS AWESOME! We are wondering if there is a way to get it in the US. My pHD can't be in the trial because she is on Zyprexa.
Thanks!
Sarah
Fabulous News to come home to today....I really needed that! And so Glad to see that Marsha is excited!
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a great week I got engaged as well this week smiling smiley
Hey congrats JayB....thats great! the good news just keeps on comming!
Brett,
One of the main things I noticed about Tony when he finished the trial and went off the med was that he choked more often. During the trial, I did notice improvement (as the final exam showed) in cognitive areas and walking. He walked the entire length of a hall on that test and now just a few months later cannot walk across our kitchen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2010 02:31PM by Maggie.
This really emphasizes the importance of filling the US trial to capacity as quickly as possible.

Great news!

Will
I called Colorado neurology about my husband getting on this trial.

She said their present trial will end in March and they are not going on with the next trial.

She said those on zyprexa could get on the trial by getting off the zyprexa for 8 weeks and staying stable.

I asked her how long before she perceived this drug could be available if approved and she said probably 2 years.

Just throwing out this info in case someone has something different.
This is WONDERFUL news!!!!!!!
okay, I realize this is a probably a really dumb question, but don't know or I wouldn't be asking......I know the FDA regulated meds here in the USA, but what about in Europe? Is it the same everywhere? And if it's approved in Europe, then couldn't patients in US get these from Europe while we are awaiting approval? Just wondering, If this is something I should really know, don't laugh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login