Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Results time

Posted by Luz 
Luz
Results time
January 20, 2010 08:15PM
The time was today and it's CAG 42 for my husband.
We're actually relieved it's not even a worse result as we feared it could be, so we took it alright.
Re: Results time
January 20, 2010 08:19PM
Ahhh Maria I'm very sorry. I've been through this day myself and even I struggle to find the words in response. How has hubby taken the news?

Tc, Matt.

[www.hdyo.org]
Luz
January 20, 2010 08:30PM
He took it stoically. He's such a strong man! Everybody on his family had late onset, so we're hoping for the same so we can benefit from future treatments.
January 20, 2010 08:53PM
I hope that is the case smiling smiley we're all working towards that!

[www.hdyo.org]
January 20, 2010 09:07PM
I'm sorry to hear about the test results too. It seems like a lot of research pieces are falling into place so there are reasons to be optimistic.
rj
January 20, 2010 09:21PM
Sorry to hear about the test results
January 20, 2010 09:51PM
im so sorry for you guys, lucky that number is pretty low!
January 20, 2010 11:37PM
Luz, i hope the tradition of late on-set carries on (((hugs)))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 11:37PM by Barb.
January 21, 2010 02:12AM
luz,

you'll do alright, you have each other, and maybe there is a treatment right around the bend...
at anyrate now you know, and you can make sure to follow the pyramid, and live every moment to the fullest...
January 21, 2010 07:20AM
I'm hoping for late onset.
Luz
January 21, 2010 07:52AM
Thank you, guys.
I have to be honest with you and tell you that I think we tested at the right time, wich makes it a little easier to deal with the results. We had already anticipated a + result and we had already gone through a good part of the grieving process.

I particularly grieved the loss of our retirement years. Actually, I still feel sad when I look at those old couples who are still going strong and enjoying each other. I even get that feeling when I see my parents so happy in their late '50s. Now I have the certainty my husband should develop HD; but I also have the certainty things will be different by then. I don't know how different they will be comparing to the current generation of pHDs, but I'm perfectly fine with that kind of incertainty. I can deal with it since it feels so close to normality.

On the other hand, we've always lead a very healthy lifestyle and my husband loves sports and he's great at dealing with stress. So, all we have to do now is just keep on doing what we already were doing, which is easier than having to change a lot.

Maybe it hasn't hit us yet, but I have to be honest and say that, to some extend, I'm relieved this part is over. The not knowing was having a very negative effect on us. We were only making plans for the worst case scenario (an early onset). Now we can make plans for both scenarios and we can move on to our next project, which is IVF/PGD.

Anyway, I think this only shows the importance of testing at the right time and how sometimes it can actually have an immediate positive effect. For us, is the feeling that we can now move on, stay positive about it and enjoy life for as long as we get to enjoy it.
January 21, 2010 09:33AM
Luz, I'm so sorry about the +, but glad it's a low #.

It really sounds like you and your hubby have a great attitude about it, and taking it about as well as could be expected. I hope you are doing as well as you sound, and that you and your hubby (and future family) have many many hd-free years ahead of you.
January 21, 2010 02:22PM
What a blow...I feel for you both. Keep the faith, I just know there is a brilliant mind out there with the key to unlocking this mystery.
Carla
January 21, 2010 04:21PM
I am sorry too. I wish I could come up with words to express my deep sadness for you both.

Bridget
eve
January 21, 2010 04:32PM
I'm sorry too. I remember the blow it was to hear my husband's news.
January 21, 2010 05:58PM
I am sorry about the results.

Stacy-NJ
January 21, 2010 07:45PM
I'm so sorry for the results, but also very impressed with your reaction. The positives count up - like the healthy lifestyle and the progress of research and medications. I'm sorry you and your husband are facing this, but equally it sounds like you're strong and thoughtful. Best of everything as you face this together. I hope you continue to share your experiences and outlook with us.

Jackie
Luz
January 21, 2010 08:28PM
I'm going nowhere, Jackie. I love coming here!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login