Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Abilify

Posted by Debra 
Abilify
December 03, 2009 02:49PM
I spoke w/ the HD center case manager she told me the neurologist there is adding Abilify as one of the medication to help pHD. here is my experience with Abilify.

My husband is on Paxil 60 mg . He was obsessing and was put on Risperidone I did not like the side effect flat affect. He lost the sparkle in his eyes. I insisted he see a psychiatrist, she took him off of Risperidone and gave him Abilify, kept him on Paxil. What a wonder drug, no more obsessing and the sparkle in his eyes is back. He seems more like himself. Took about 6 weeks to see the full benefit. life is much better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2009 07:59PM by Debra.
Re: Abilify
December 03, 2009 05:46PM
oh wow deb, great news...

i wondered about abilify, but some mentioned it wouldnt help hd, but if you tried it and like it, thats a good recommendation...

thanks for the message...
December 03, 2009 07:39PM
I'm so glad to hear that Debra smiling smiley
December 03, 2009 10:19PM
what is abilify? I obsess often and cannot make the train stop until my anxiety is through the roof. BARB- I am now off the wellbutrin as you were right it was making my hands shake and my anxiety worse. The klonopin helps- but because it makes me tired I only take it at night- so I suffer a lot while at work or when I have my kids- the lexapro has done wonders for the depression but the anxiety! WOW! once it gets going it is paralyzing and the obsession will turn to irritability.
December 04, 2009 09:07AM
Kag200

My husbands was obsessing and so anxious at one time he wouldn't speak he just froze. He wasn't sleeping, he was imagining smells that weren't there.It was exhausting being with him. Abilify is used together with your antidepressant. The psychiatrist told use their not really sure how it works , but it adjusts the serotonin levels. here is the the web side on Abilify

[www.abilify.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2009 09:10AM by Debra.
December 04, 2009 11:02AM
Debra, I'm glad to hear how the Abilify has helped. My phd is on mematine and risperdal and we have recently been considering an anti-depressant (previously was not a problem). Not sure what anti-depressant would be good to start with (everone with HD seems to be on so many different anti-depressants and really didn't want to start the "drug juggling" problems).
I was concerned about the warning of side effect on Abilify that it may increase swallowing difficulties, due to the fact that recently we've had more of a problem with choking.
Recently we were out eating and I had to do the "Heimlich" on him as he had food lodged. It took about 15 seconds to get his throat cleared and it seemed like an eternity. He's alone during the day while I work and I'm so afraid he will just choke to death one day. He's not in need of care during the day but that choking can happen at anytime and no one is around to help you......
The following was my concern for my phd about the Abilify but it may be a risk we must consider:

General Precautions with Abilify:

Abilify may impair judgement, thinking, or motor skills. You should be careful in operating machinery, including automobiles, until you know how Abilify affects you.

Abilify may cause trouble swallowing (esophageal dysmotility). This can cause choking and lead to a type of pneumonia called aspiration pneumonia in some patients.
December 04, 2009 11:59AM
LizziAnn,
My husband was also having trouble swallowing and speaking. he failed the swallowing study. It was recommended he have a feeding tube before he lost weight and muscle mass. I was also worried about him choking while I was at work. Well 2 months ago he had the feeding tube. his weight is stable, he feels better. He swallows his pills with water. he was told he still could eat but chooses not to. actually having the feeding tube also improved our lives. He also is able to only walk short distances. We recently went on a week vacation to our old college town. We flew I packed the feeding supplement as baggage. He was able to walk a a 2 mile nature hike with frequent rests. We had a great time. I rented a house that was handicap friendly.. Prior to starting the Abilify and the feeding tube I was thinking it was time to look for assistant care for him either at home or at a facility. Now everything has changed he is stable and doing much better. Oh and he also is getting a speech communitive device by Tobaii ATTI, it's covered by our insurance. when you hear my husbands story it sounds pretty bleak. But my husband has always had an easy going personality and adjusts well to each chalenge. If you saw him you'd be amazed on how we he is doing
December 04, 2009 12:11PM
Debra, that's a wonderful success story. Sounds like your husband is farther progressed in HD than mine. My husband is thin but has maintained his weight well for a year and he eats heartily. I'm just concerned about the occassional choking when no one is there to help him. He has already signed (2x) stating no feeding tubes but, fortunately no need for one at this time. I've asked him to take smaller bites and chew more to reduce the chance of problems, but.....
doesn't mean something couldn't happen. It's occassional and not to the point where he needs pureed foods. He does things outdoors and can be mobile, it's just that he's impaired with chorea and clumsiness. Thanks for your story about your husband as it gave me further information.
December 05, 2009 11:14AM
Medication responses vary so much from one person to the next. I have used Abilify -- but have seen more swallowing problems associated with it than other antipsychotics.
December 05, 2009 11:22AM
Before my husband started Abilify he was already having trouble swallowing and talking. It just so happened that starting the Abilify and getting the feeding tube occurred around the same time. For him it worked out well with the Abilify and the feeding tube. They both helped stabilize him for now.
gda
December 07, 2009 12:32AM
My brother started taking Abilify a few months ago. Since then he has gained weight (10lbs) and looks a lot better. It has helped his appetite a lot!

We haven't noticed any side effects to it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login