Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

practical considerations prior to testing?

Posted by jonathan klein 
Hi folks. I am trying to help a friend facing the coin flip chance of having HD. I think he should have some good health insurance and perhaps long-term or nursing home insurance in place prior to finding out whether or not he is positive. One of those "hope for the best, plan for the worst" situations. Can anyone help to recommend a policy or type of policy. Are there any other practical matters we need to consider?
I would be most grateful for any advice.
Thank you,
Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,Good insurance is always a desirable thing to have under any circumstances, but it is expensive so shop carefully.Sometimes ins cos. will ask outright if there are certain diseases in your family, and here is the catch 22. If you have prior knowledge and are not truthful up front, most likely your policy won't be worth a cent due to falsifying info.But on the other hand I was totally honest back in 68 in applying for Life ins.and was turned down flat because I admitted to HD in the family. Of course there are a lot of other things to consider,living arrangements,home care ect.But hopefully these things will be Far down the Road for your friend.you didn't say if your friend was symptomatic or if he or she has children,also why the rush to test? although I certainly believe you should be prepared for whatever comes along,why rush the test.Just my opinion of course.Good luck to you and your friend.there is a lot of info out there,be patient.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login