Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

State Hospital

Posted by Lynn 
State Hospital
August 06, 2009 08:01AM
After a month in a mental health hospital, my brother was sent to a state facility. He refuses medication and we his family are very concerned. What now?

Lynn
Re: State Hospital
August 06, 2009 09:05AM
Guardianship, where his right to refusal is not an option.
August 06, 2009 11:21AM
What is the Hospital telling you?
August 06, 2009 02:06PM
The state hospital say's that for things to change, it has to be court ordered. Unfortunately the state is back logged and they say it is difficult to procure in this state.
August 06, 2009 03:49PM
How is he? Is he upset?

If he becomes upset, my guess is that they won't need a court to get him to take the meds.

How are you holding up? Are you in charge of his care or does he have a wife that's taking care of him?
August 06, 2009 04:33PM
I am so sorry to hear this.
August 06, 2009 08:04PM
My brother is not well and at times tries to escape. When that happens they put him in a padded cell. When he was at the other hospital and tried to escape they gave him haldol even though his wife asked them over and over again not to. He has a wonderful wife and she is doing all she can .... but she has no say so. I guess I don't understand how this can be happening. Even if they gave him meds when he gets upset, it's still not the same as going back on medication to get stabilized. Right?
I take care of my younger brother who has hd. This has been very difficult for him, because he thinks this is his future.
August 06, 2009 11:05PM
You should get some legal counsel if possible. Even legal guardianship in our state hasn't allow us to over-rule my MIL's refusal to take any medications. A good elder care attorney should be able to explain what options are available specific to your situation. My MIL has refused medications for years and ran away from our home and nursing homes when she was physically able. I'm sorry for how difficult this must be for the whole family.
August 06, 2009 11:47PM
In my state as well, a patient has an absolute right to refuse medication even if he has been declared incompetent and has a guardian who wants him to receive the medication. I agree with Laura that it's important to learn what the laws are.
August 07, 2009 02:10PM
Keep in mind that the health provider has more at stake than the care of your brother. They have to take into consideration the saftey of the other patients and the staff. If he becomes upset and can't be "redirected", the health providers can and will hold him down and give him a shot of Haldol. They will do that over and over.

If he doesn't cooperate with them, he will spend a great deal of time in that padded cell. (At least that's my experience). What else can they do? They can't let the patient hurt some other innocent patient or a nurse. They have to do something.

And they can't release him until someone is willing to certify that he's okay and can walk out the door on his own. In my wife's case, as soon as they druged her up enough to get her walking without screaming, they said she was "good to go" and told me to pick her up.

That may happen yet also.

Has anyone tried to find some place to transfer him to? What's the goal? They usually have a person called a "discharge planner" that makes arrangements for other care facilities or release. Any news on that front?
August 07, 2009 04:10PM
The state hospital has transfered an hd person to Laurel Lake before. Laurel Lake won't take my brother until he is on medication, which I fully understand. However, the goal is to get him well enough to go home. I will encourage my sister- in- law to get some legal advice. How do you get someone to take medication, when they don't think they are sick and in need of it? It is so confusing and frustrating.
August 09, 2009 01:32PM
Sorry your in this situation Lynn.
Your question on how to get someone to take medication when they don't think they are sick or need it struck home.

We've been struggling with this same issue. 1st with my mom who has dementia, paranoia & has had a stroke. She absolutely refused to see a Dr. or take any medication. Unfortunately things got to the point where she was committed without her consent. Her time in the facility & assisted living helped in the long run because once we finally got the medication into her on a regular basis we could reason with her once again and her situation has improved.

The 2nd is with my PHD husband. He refuses to take his meds some days. Nothing I can say or do changes his mind. A bad day always follows. All I can do is remind him on a good day that if he doesn't take the medication he too could end up in a facility. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

Hopefully for your brother they will get the medication into him regularly so you can once again reason with him and he'll realize taking the meds would be better then being stuck in a facility.

Good luck.
August 09, 2009 05:29PM
Indigo, I'm glad that your mom is doing better. If only our loved ones could understand that they are sick and in need of help. If only they knew that those of us who are there to help only want what is best for them. My mom who has hd can be stubborn about taking her pills, but in the end she will take them. My younger brother who has hd, ended up in a facility for a few weeks because he forgot to take them. I now call him daily to remind him and it seems to be working. My other brother unfortunately doesn't seem to understand that he needs medication. As I said before, he isn't doing well at all.
Thank you all for your advice and encouragement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login