Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Mom's Death

Posted by jl 
jl
Mom's Death
August 03, 2009 01:30PM
I'm sorry to say that my mom died of Alzheimer's late last Friday.

She was in hospice care in the nursing home where she'd recently been moved.

She rapidly worsened, until her family was notified that anyone wanting to see her might want to do so within a day or so. No more accurate prediction than that could they give.

So we all decided to play it safe and come in on Friday and stay with her for as long as necessary. It's a good thing we did, because when she expired at 10:50 - all of her children & grandchildren were gathered around her bedside taking turns holding her hand, and comforting our step-dad. Mom most probably was not aware of our presence, by then - but our step-dad was, and was very grateful.

We were scared several times by her stopping to breath - and then restarting. Finally, she did not restart - and so the hospice nurse was summoned. She checked Mom in several places with a stethoscope - and announced that no heartbeat could be found.

The nurse instructed us as to when her body would be picked up - and what tasks would have to be preformed.

We all agreed that she was more than ready to leave - and that we'd been able to gather around for her.

All that could be done had been done - and finally she was at peace.

She didn't quite make it to her 90th birthday.,,,,

jl
Re: Mom's Death
August 03, 2009 03:10PM
JL, I am so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. Even if your Mom was not aware of your presence, I can imagine she might have known at some level, and was as grateful for it as your step-dad was. Your family is our prayers.

Patty
August 03, 2009 03:24PM
Sorry for your loss. It sounded like a peaceful passing which is the best we can hope for.
August 03, 2009 03:25PM
I am so sorry for your loss. You will be in my thoughts. Take care of yourself in this difficult time.
August 03, 2009 03:45PM
You know JL, You've done so much for all of us on levels, that most don't even realize. We don't always know what goes on in the private lives of our busy behind the scenes people like you. I know I did not. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful woman she must have been to have raised such a selfless, loving caring woman such as you. Loving you from afar, Pat and Steve Wolf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 03:46PM by mrspatwolf.
August 03, 2009 04:00PM
JL,

Thanks for sharing your story. I hope I go as easily as she did when it's my time. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Will
August 03, 2009 04:12PM
JL,

I am so sorry for your loss but so glad you were able to be with her and provide support for your step-dad.

Paula
August 03, 2009 04:14PM
JL,

IT STILL HURTS, NO MATTER UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES.
its a great loss... i will say this, you are one of
the most well rounded persons i've talked to. your
self confidence, your self awarness, and your independance,
says so much about your upbringing. your mom must have
been a good woman.

you have this world in perspective, you see the cycle of life...
but it will be hard, and we are with you.

much love JL... much love.... Rose
August 03, 2009 04:23PM
I am sorry for your loss, JL. My prayers with you and family
August 03, 2009 05:10PM
jl,

I am sorry to hear of your loss and hope you can find some comfort knowing she is finally at peace. I know those words don't make it any easier but I am thinking of you and your family and sending you lots of hugs.
Take care,

Deborah
db
August 03, 2009 05:35PM
JL I am sorry you lost your Mom . You have had a lot on your plate the last few years , and you keep going , and persevering . Big hug and My best thoughts . db
August 03, 2009 06:00PM
JL, I am so sorry. I am glad you got to be with your mom, as well as the rest of the family.
I had been thinking about you and wondering where you were; you are in my thoughts and prayers.<3
August 03, 2009 06:28PM
Oh JL,

I am so sorry for the loss of your Mum. Even though she may not have been concious I am sure she was aware of the love around her as she passed on. It is good that you all were able to be with her.

I am sure it was good support for your step father but I hope you have support around you too, friends and family need to close in and comfort those closest to her.

You have my deepest sympathy and I send much love to you.

Debbie
August 03, 2009 06:38PM
JL I was just thinking last night that I hadnt seen you on

You and all your family have my deepest sympathy for your loss. Your mother is finally at peace and I hope you all find comfort in knowing she went peacefully

Louise x
rj
August 03, 2009 06:40PM
JL,
So sorry for the loss of your mom. Lifting you and your family up in prayer.
August 04, 2009 01:29AM
I'm sure that she was and always will be proud to have you as a daughter. I agree that on a different level I believe that she knew you were there for her and comforted by it. Bless you.
August 04, 2009 03:24AM
G'day JL, I'm saddened by your loss. But as you say, at almost 90 years of age, and considering her condition, your mum was ready to go. all the best my friend, and....take it easy...peter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 03:28AM by peterBris.
August 04, 2009 06:36AM
JL,

So Sorry to Hear about the loss of you mom, I have to agree with other I truely think she knew you were all there! You and your family will be in my thoughts

Francine
August 04, 2009 07:13AM
Dear JL
I'm sorry to hear of your mom's death. With diseases like Alzheimers, peaceful death is a blessing while the death of one's mom is not easy.You can no longer phone mom for her opinion and you are now an adult.
I hope you have nice funeral with people to share memories of the good times long ago.
Love
Dusty
Luz
August 04, 2009 01:59PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, jl...lots's of hugs for you in this moment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login