Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

why so tired?????

Posted by trey gray 
why so tired?????
June 30, 2009 11:37AM
Hello everyone,

Does anyone else have days when you just can't seem to get going? I feel so tired.

cheers & blessings,
trey
jl
Re: why so tired?????
June 30, 2009 12:05PM
Trey, have you been diagnosed for depression? It's very common with HD - and very treatable with good anti-depression meds.

But that said - I have to admit that I am increasingly tired (I'm 60, with a CAG repeat of 43). And surely the life of a performer is much more taxing than mine (I'm retired).

Regardless - I do find myself requiring more and more sleep!

jl

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 12:12PM by jl.
June 30, 2009 12:07PM
Are you still on the road or are you on a break now? Can you get some down time? I feel exhausted sometimes and i am not symptomatic, you must be three times as tired. We have had an amazing amount of rain here in NJ too and that just adds to the tiredness. Just being out in the fresh air and sun has helped some.

I hope you can get some rest.

Take care

Stacy-NJ
June 30, 2009 12:15PM
If I can, I take a 1 hour nap every day and it does wonders for my energy level. On the days I can't take naps, I am exhausted by 4 pm.
June 30, 2009 12:25PM
Lately I've been much more sleepy. I lie down maybe 3 times a day if I'm not out and about. I think it is the HD because my brother was the same way. He'd sit in his chair and nod off all the time. Bothers me a lot!
rj
June 30, 2009 12:51PM
Hey Trey, Are you able to work out? Just thinking this might give you a little more zip!
June 30, 2009 01:03PM
I find walking and doing yoga and meditation energizing. I'm 64 and non-symptomatic (CAG 37)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 01:04PM by Paula B.
June 30, 2009 01:04PM
Trey i get really tired too, although i'm lots older than you lol. I'm 51 and in very early stages, but i know my tiredness is to do with my hd. And i seem to go through it in spells, sometimes a lot more tired than other times. For me, sometimes it's been a matter of looking at some of my meds, and seeing if one of them needs to be lowered a bit. Turns out sometimes that is the culprit. But other times, i just feel like my muscles just feel like rubber, it's not a sleepy tired but a not able to do anything tired. I don't take creatine, i'm not able to, but i do wonder if that would help. I wonder if you take creatine? It is good for improving muscles, and muscles decline in hd. Also, and i don't know the science on all this, so hopefully someone else will add in. But the mitochondria is affected in hd, meaning less cell energy, and creatine helps the mitochondria is my understanding. I think too what rj said, that maybe some muscle training would help, that goes for me too lol.
June 30, 2009 02:28PM
Trey, I thinks it's pretty normal.. but just checking.. have you had any medication adjustments? Also are you keeping regular sleeping hours? Technically there is evidence of loss of cellular energy with HD and some people use creatine or Co-Q-10 to battle that. Since I know ya use Dr. J .. ask her about those. I'm in Indiana and Dr J is our doc too.. she's great..smiling smiley Until then.. really try and sleep properly. And remember you aren't 25 anymore... don't try and be 25..smiling smiley Not daily anyway. As we age we have to pick our battles and our fun too. Sometimes we just have to pass on both for our own good and recharge.
June 30, 2009 02:36PM
Trey-
I know everyone has given you good ideas.

There may be a link with the lifestyle of being in a band and we all get
older which changes things a bit too.

My husband has HD - I do not, however, I do not have the energy now that
I did at your age. Age makes a bit of a difference and if you are not getting 7-9 hours of rest that can play in as well.

Take care

Sharon
June 30, 2009 04:56PM
Now Eric, are you trying to tell Trey he's getting old??? LOL LOL
June 30, 2009 07:06PM
I am old and bringing everyone down with me..grinning smiley
June 30, 2009 07:09PM
Eric Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am old and bringing everyone down with me..grinning smiley

Yes Eric, you are Very old lol. Want to know how i know this? If i was to search all your posts for the last three months or so, i think every one of your posts says that you are old!!!!! LOL LOL
June 30, 2009 10:03PM
My husband age 46 now with GAG 45 has always been more tired but as we keep increasing his Zoloft (Depression med) he seems to need less sleep and seems to handle more...he still demands more sleep then most his age...not up until 9:00am and most days needs a nap...before HD he was very energetic and there was no way he was taking a nap...hope this helps
July 01, 2009 10:30AM
At your age I could sleep 24 hours on a weekend with the New York times, a pot of coffee and Ross in bed. I sleep less and less at night with HD but I choose not to take sleeping pills because of falling the next day. Taking the anti depressant in the morning added two hours of good sleep.
I think the human body sleeps about 6 to 8 hours a day and if you nap all day you'll rave all niht
Happy Canada Day
Dusty
July 01, 2009 02:29PM
I do. I have a hard time getting going in the mornings. I've never been a morning person but this is different. It's like my mind is tired and I just sit there and it blanks out. Then it comes back around to what I was going to do and I think I really need to do it, I let out a sigh, and my mind blanks out again. Eventually, I get up and do whatever, but it takes awhile. Oh, it's not only in the morning, but that's when it is the worst. I don't know what to do about it.

Patty
July 01, 2009 04:08PM
My Mom pHD always seems to be falling asleep anytime she sits for a while (church etc.). Are you sleepy tired or body tired?
July 01, 2009 06:02PM
so Trey,

the definitive answer to your question seems to be:

YES, WE FEEL DAMN TIRED! I'm on cloud 9

and the reason could be one of a million reasons...

cool smiley
July 01, 2009 06:05PM
OH UMMMM ERIC,

DITTO ON THE: YOUR BRINGING EVERYONE DOWN WITH YOU MAN....

Oops Laughing out loud I'm sorry Peace?
July 06, 2009 09:41AM
Good morning,

Thanks everybody. You've all been very helpful. I'm all of the above, mentally and pyhsically tired. I am on Lexapro and Clonazepam. I do exercise and take a handful of supplements every day. I only have a beer or two once a week now. That's if I've been good all week...ha ha ha.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers and are very inspiring to me. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.

cheers & blessings,
Trey
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login