Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Driving & HD - Please share thoughts

Posted by lisaanne 
Driving & HD - Please share thoughts
June 24, 2009 10:24AM
My family and I are worried about our Mom driving now that she is displaying some involuntary movement in her hands and legs due to HD. We realize that driving helps her maintain a feeling of independence, but we don't want her to get hurt or hurt anyone else. I've read several posts here that state some people with HD still drive. I'm looking for input on this situation please.
Re: Driving & HD - Please share thoughts
June 24, 2009 11:22AM
Those near her would be best to decide. Have you been in the car with her when she drives and observe how her driving is?

My phd hubby was driving & working last October and then it was one incident at work where he couldn't remember what to do and he got scared and that was a real turning point for us. Up until that point he was still driving (mainly because he had to get back & forth to work). Believe me, we didn't have many fights but when we did, I can say most of them were derived from me commenting on his driving & he would take it personally (this is before we knew of any HD diagnosis). His foot would go "vroom-vroom" on the accelerator and couldn't hold a steady speed. He drove way too fast for his needed response time. He stopped driving 9 months ago & at the time I silently questioned whether "maybe he could drive a little", but looking back that was the best decision we made as his response time is soooooo delayed and he would be a real hazard on the road. I can say his Chorea would play a role in his driving, but the unseen mental comprehension is what you don't see that can be a real hazard. Driving takes a quick response time and he does not have that at all.

Good luck.
June 24, 2009 11:50AM
Generally speaking, if you are asking the question then it's time. You don't ask it about a safe driver after all. We all want to give independence weight.. but it's not nearly as important as a life.
KGM
June 24, 2009 11:59AM
My brothers and I were always scared about getting in the car when my mother was driving. She even had a few accidents. She never drove when my father was around, so I don't think he knew how bad she was getting (he always drove if they were together). I was glad when our car died, because then she wasn't able to drive any more.

I agree with the suggestion that someone should go in the car with her.
June 24, 2009 01:19PM
A bad car accident was my very first hd symptom, i had no memory problems or cognitive problems until a year later. I was driving down the freeway one day, the car in front of me was at a dead stop, and i couldnt remember how to stop a car. I had no idea what was wrong with me, but i stopped driving right then, my first and last accident. Eric is right, if you're asking the question, then she's already driving too long. I went through this with my dad, he was having trouble with being over focused on getting from point a to point b, and if something got in his way, he wouldnt see it, so i asked him one day, what if you're trying to get to point b, and a child steps out on the road, i said what will you do then? He just looked at me very confused and said i dont know, i guess i will find out then, and i said no, if you dont know the answer to that, it's time for you to stop driving right now. Driving isnt a right its a priviledge. Somebody can get killed. Yes it was hard for me, no longer driving, and my husband having to drive me everywhere, i wont denly that it's an ego crusher, but so what, stuff happens that we have to accept, know what i mean? I imagine the hardest part will be convincing your mom. My dad wasnt able to be convinced, until the doctor told him he could no longer drive.
June 24, 2009 04:47PM
Lisaanne,
We asked the Neuro to order a driving assessment for my son Tim. He was obsessed with continuing to drive and blamed us for not letting him drive anymore. He agreed that if he failed the assessment, he would abide by their decision. He did fail and it was so heartbreaking to see. However, it shifted the blame to the driving assessor and not on us. Every now and then he still says he can drive and that the test was "rigged" but so far so good. good luck.
Carla
June 26, 2009 01:52AM
I have a relative out of state from me with hd that says she is illegally driving. Her license was taken away from an accident and she is only to drive with another driver in the car, according to her. She lives alone and says she drives herself on daily errands alone. Her husband divorced her and she has no family where she lives. She does not realize how hd is affecting her judgment and reflexes. she won't even give me a contact number of a friend I can call if I don't hear from her. What can I do to help her when she doesn't recognize she could harm herself and others with driving and is driving illegally?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login