Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

New to HDAC - hello

Posted by lisaanne 
New to HDAC - hello
June 23, 2009 06:46PM
Hello all - just looking around the site. My sisters and I are in search of support/feedback/insight into how to cope with a positive test result from a parent. I realize that there are no exact answers, but I hope you don't mind me hanging out and reading about your individual situations - trying to find some direction. Thanks - Lisa
rj
Re: New to HDAC - hello
June 23, 2009 06:56PM
Hi Lisaanee....My father just tested positive as well, and this site has been really helpful, hope it will be to you also.
June 23, 2009 07:02PM
Welcome.
June 23, 2009 07:16PM
Mind? That's the point of the place..smiling smiley Hang out and pick up what you can that you can use. There will always be something. So read or ask or float your own thoughts on it. Glad to meet you.. btw, how long ago did you find out the news?
June 23, 2009 08:13PM
HEY LISA,

THIS IS A GOOD PLACE TO TALK, AND YOU HAVE YOUR PRIVACY HERE.
WELCOME...
June 23, 2009 08:15PM
HI Lisa - My 2 sisters and I are all at risk after a positive test on my Mom 3 years ago. The first few weeks were definitely the hardest. Glad you came by.
June 23, 2009 08:23PM
I havent been on here but maybe a week or so and this is a great place to be welcome and you will find that the more you read you will learn you arent alone and people on here know how you feel . These people are amazing so welcome and hope they can help you as much as they have helped me
June 23, 2009 08:32PM
Hi Lisa - We've seen a lot of HD in my family, and will see more. I just started interacting online but am glad I did. Reading about others is helpful, but being able to interact with others in all sorts of situations brought together by this terrible disease is a blessing. I'm glad you're here, too.
June 23, 2009 08:36PM
Welcome, Lisa Anne.

Sorry about your Mom's positive status. Your family is just beginning a journey which is just filled with one "what-if" after another.

We've all been through it here, so I'm sure you'll find some helpful reponses to a lot of your questions.
June 23, 2009 10:28PM
Thank you all for such a kind welcome -
Eric, to answer your question - Mom was diagnosed positive around 18 months ago. My sisters & I were aware that HD was in the family (two of Mom's sisters were +, along with her own Mom), although this did little to lighten to impact of a positive diagnoses- especially for Mom.
In retrospect, it makes me wonder exactly how far in denial I was over the possibility of her carrying the gene mutation.
June 23, 2009 10:45PM
Well, you have to spend a lot of time ignoring that possibility or you drive yourself nuts over it. That's not really denial. It's like worrying about old age.. you can't do that every day, even as it creeps up on you. You just don't worry about it. Until the diagnosis comes you always have some spark of hope. Even if some weirdness is happening, it could be something else. It's just hitting you hard on two fronts now. One for your mom, and then for you two. It's more comfortable with distance from those facts. There wasn't a whole lot there that put it in your face to think too hard or long about personally. It's now more serious business though.. that's just human nature.
June 24, 2009 12:09AM
Hi Lisa and welcome smiling smiley
June 24, 2009 07:57AM
Welcome, Lisaanne. I thought I was seeing my "double" spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

LizzieAnn
June 24, 2009 04:15PM
Welcome

Louise
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login