Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

amazing on how many people could know how i feel

Posted by kaelee 
amazing on how many people could know how i feel
June 13, 2009 10:32PM
I am new and im in tears, sometimes I feel that no one could know how it feels my grandfather,who died in a car accident at 32 years old so he didnt live long enough to show anything, 2 uncles,1 of whom died in the nursing home at 53 years old, and one who killed himself because he didnt want to deal with it, my mom who after 23 years of living with it just died a few months ago .My older brother has it and is showing the signs at 45 years old . My father who was amazing stayed by her side until he died of a massive heatattack in 2007 . Its hard to explain the emotions when day after day you watch someone go through this but after reading this website I know people do know how I feel. The last time I saw my mom she couldnt even smile though she tried. I went home and prayed for god to take her home that was the last gift I could give her , the gift of letting go it was so hard . I had a feeling all day and the nurses said they didnt think it would be that soon but 9 am the next day her nurse called and said to get here quick that my feelings were right. I told the nurse to tell her I was coming she said she would. We got there and she died about 5 minutes before I got there but she knew I was coming.I hope that people on here can find strength in eachother as well as in themselves.
Re: amazing on how many people could know how i feel
June 13, 2009 10:40PM
Oh im so sorry, and it's so good to meet you. I know i can only sympathize, because i haven't had that same experience...my dad and i are both just in early stages, he is 76, and i'm 51. But i look up to people like you, and so many others here, that share a story like yours, because it makes my losses seem so small in the grande scheme of things. Thanks so much for sharing, and welcome.
Luz
June 13, 2009 10:58PM
Hello Kaelee. I'm really sorry about your mom and the rest of your family.
I'm new here too, but I welcome you and tell you that you've come to the right place because here there's always someone who understands what you are going through and who will be there for you.
June 14, 2009 06:29AM
Welcome and thank you for sharing your story.
June 14, 2009 07:39AM
Welcome to the group, you couldn't find a better group of people to help you journey through this.
June 14, 2009 08:44AM
Kaelee, your story touches me. There is a great strength in letting someone go, a lot of compassion and love. I have HD and have seen my father and older brother decline and die. Last year my husband was sick for many months and suffering intensely through one procedure after another without improvement (he had an intestinal problem). I felt so much love for him for being such a trooper. When the last days came, I had to say no to one more procedure that would only put him through more useless torture. I was with him when he died a day later. I felt so much honor in being with him as he died. I respect those on this forum who go through similar journeys toward death.
June 14, 2009 01:43PM
Kaelee you have come to the right place. I,m so sorry to hear of your life long struggle I can not speak for anyone else but I feel you pain, I just lost my brother a month ago. I know this is so ugly to deal with keep faith and I hope to here from you agian. I'm also pretty new Ive been here for about two months and love to read the forum I have learnt alot. Even a piece of mind.
June 15, 2009 07:04AM
Kaelee, I hope these few words will be of some comfort. Just talking about it will help in the area of memory deconstruction/reconstruction. I am 72 and a grandfather - greatgrandfather by marriage - and have experienced most of your 'problems'. My lineage is paternal; my father killed himself way before the HD 'name' was blamed. Five siblings died with HD-associated causes; my mother and the oldest three had cancer. My oldest brother is still living.
My two biological daughters have expanded counts (43 and 40), and three grands are at risk. My CAG count is 40, and I am pretty-much asymptomatic. My cognitive functions appear to be fine; I multi task well. I have no physical limitations; 6' 160lbs. I take no prescribed meds; I take vitamins and supplements.
I easily become irritated and, while not a recluse, I don't go off the place as much as I used to. In a couple of hours I will sing at a nursing home in which there are several HD clients.
Kaelee, you have stressful situations. Please keep in mind there are worse things than HD.
KGM
June 15, 2009 02:25PM
Kaelee: I am so sorry about your mother. I understand how you feel...My mother died at 44 and even though my first reaction was sadness, I then started to feel that she was finally at peace--her movements were finally stilled, her battle with HD was over. I was lucky enough to see her the month before she died (we lived very far apart). I always be grateful for that...Hang in there...
June 16, 2009 10:45AM
Kaelee,

I am so sorry for all the you and your family have had to endure. Welcome to this site, you will find and amazing amount of strength from the friends that you will make on here.
June 19, 2009 02:25PM
Kaelee
Welcome
This is a place that is safe and comforting for all of us who walk this path.

Carla
June 19, 2009 02:43PM
Her pain is over, Kaelee.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login