Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Does HD influence your religious views?

Posted by Luz 
Re: Does HD influence your religious views?
June 14, 2009 07:46PM
I grew up attending a christian school, going to church & sunday school every sunday and even went to a christian college.

After a bad 1st marriage with an ex who would twist and contort bible passages to fit his mood I walked away with a very cautious attitude towards organized religion. I started to resent being force fed this particular religion theory so I decided I wanted to learn about other cultures & religions. I never said I was going to run away and join a cult or anything, I just wanted to learn what they were about.

It had nothing to do with any one event, but instead a lifetime of things.

After all these years and many good and bad experiences I've come to feel that yes, I believe in God. However, I think there is a little bit of truth in every religion. I think we all worship the same "GOD" in the end we just take different paths to get there.

(This is my view on the subject so please don't start with the cyber beating)
June 14, 2009 10:57PM
There is a book i have read numurous times called The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. Whether you believe in heaven or hell is imaterial. The point this book drives home, is that we understand the effects of our decisions on other people in our everyday dealings in life, the ripple effect that spreads through other lives and influences others whether it be good or bad. We all do make a difference, this book beautifully illustrates that difference.

Safe Journey To You All

Ron C.
June 15, 2009 11:01AM
Good point Ron. Not everyone can move mountains but everyone can plant seeds.
June 15, 2009 06:59PM
Thanks Dove and everyone for your comments and support. : )

Margie
pHD
June 15, 2009 07:05PM
Eric Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good point Ron. Not everyone can move mountains
> but everyone can plant seeds.

Yeah i think you plant seeds allright Eric. When i was so down and depressed, and you couldnt talk me through it, you snapped me out of it, by just saying, make a quilt...complete change of subject. I'm like what, you said make me a quilt. Uhmmm, Eric still doesnt have his quilt, it is half ways done, but look what he started. Look at all the roses on my raffle quilt. I think he planted a seed allright, i think he planted a rose garden smiling smiley Sometimes we have no idea, the little things we do, that can have a huge impact on another person. So i think doing and saying little things each day, we might not think we are making a difference, til you look up and see the roses smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2009 07:06PM by Barb.
June 17, 2009 02:03AM
"But I came to the conclusion that one thing I can do no matter what is pray. So now that is my contribution to others--a worthwhile one I think."

Margie, I am literally in tears. I think that is the nicest, most compassionate thought I've ever heard someone say.

Huntington's did change my view of God. Or maybe it would be better to say it certainly obscured it. My mother had HD when she was pregnant with me. I never really knew her. I only knew the well meaning people of our neighborhood that would come take her to church or me to bible school, etc. They would say things to me like "God does everything for a reason". I was young, I wanted my mother, and I knew she believed in these people but in my eyes they were letting her down!

I kept my resentment against all religion until the day my own daughter was born. And it may sound cheesy...but in her face I saw God.

I never have been part of any organized religion. I am not saved nor baptized. But boy do I pray. And I believe what Lou was saying. God's gift is now.

My "church" is the church of appreciation in all that God has given me. I show my appreciation with the most profound gratefulness whenever I can.
June 17, 2009 05:37PM
TracieT,
When my mother first became "sick" (psychiatric symptoms--we didn't know about HD until much later) (when I was 11 or 12), I prayed for the first couple of years. And then when she didn't get better I think I kind of gave up and stopped--maybe to protect myself from the disappointment of hoping. My heart hardened.

When I finally found out my mother had a real illness called Huntington's (when I was 23) I was relieved to finally know what was wrong which softened my heart a bit.

When my parents were killed in a housefire (when I was 33) I was so stunned I felt like I had been sucker punched by God. I told my friends at that time He and I were still living in the same house but I was not talking to Him.

There were so many blessings that came after that however that my feelings softened over time.

When I started HD symptoms (at 35) I felt like I had gotten my pink slip from God. Maybe I hadn't been using all of the gifts He has given me, and fed up, He was pulling the plug.

I also told myself, fine, since I will be checking out soon, I am off the hook, no more responsibilities.

After a year or two when I realized I was still here and would probably be here for quite some time, I put myself back on the hook. I spent time contemplating how to weave a spiritual life with my life with HD.

I went back to my roots, Catholicism. My father worked two jobs at one point to keep my sisters and I in Catholic high school. I felt some shame as an adult knowing my parents had sacrificed so much for my faith and I wasn't making good on their investment.

I find it fulfilling reestablishing my faith as an adult.

Margie
pHD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login