Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

CAG Repeat of 17!!!

Posted by TheChef 
CAG Repeat of 17!!!
June 02, 2009 12:57PM
Well, I had to share with everyone here that the results have finally come in, and I have a CAG count of 17!!! It was a two month wait because there was a technical error where they could not split my DNA to get a confirming results to prove a normal repeat, so they had to send the test to an outside facility that specializes in this kind of splitting. And they confirmed the negative results.

We got the call last Friday that the results were in and that they could see me Monday at 3pm. I know isn't that really late in the day to be getting results like this? You would think a first thing in the morning appointment would be easier. But it was good that it was late in the afternoon. We went to the LA County Museum of Art and enjoyed the scenery there. We then had a nice lunch with a few glasses of wine, so I will admit I was a little tipsy by the time I walked into the medical center. After a few seconds of introductions and small talk and the doctor just came out and said I was "ok"!! I don't know if it was the alcohol or the phrasing of the results but it took me about 20 seconds to comprehend what was said. I was in a trance of anticipation and fear. It was the screams and joy coming from my fiance that woke me from this trance, to the reality of finally knowing that I and any future kids would live HD free!!

HD will still be a big part of our family for many years to come. A negative result for me does not change that fact. So I look forward to giving and receiving the support that organizations and groups like this can offer for many years to come.

Thanks all!!
Re: CAG Repeat of 17!!!
June 02, 2009 01:05PM
Congratulations! I am so pleased for you!!!!!

Do both of your copies of the Huntington's gene have 17 CAG repeats?
June 02, 2009 01:07PM
Woo Hoo!

Congratulations Tim! HD bites the dust again ... big time.

Clapping
Steve
June 02, 2009 01:47PM
Wow! congratualtions!
June 02, 2009 01:51PM
Sweet!
jl
June 02, 2009 01:54PM
My brother has a CAG repeat of 17, as well!

Great news!

jl
June 02, 2009 02:10PM
Awesome!
June 02, 2009 03:42PM
Thanks all for the support!!! My fiance has the envelope with the results in it, but I remember my geneticist said that both sides had a 17 count.

I did this whole process under a false name, just incase the results came back positive. I felt bad that all these doctors were being so nice and helpful to me that I had lie to them about my name. But that just goes to show how much reform our health care system needs where someone like me has to go in there to do a test like this under a false name just to protect my future health care years from now.
June 02, 2009 04:51PM
Steve likes this. thumbs up
June 02, 2009 05:27PM
The wave That is absolutely great!!!!! Like stevie said HD does not win this time!!!smileys with beer
June 02, 2009 06:29PM
Way cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm Very happy for you smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley
June 02, 2009 06:34PM
YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
17 is my new favorite number~
June 02, 2009 09:05PM
Oh, Happy Day! I am sure I would have another few glasses of wine...lol...take a breath.
June 03, 2009 01:45AM
That is so awesome!!! Congratulations!!!!

ClappingClappingClapping thumbs up thumbs up smileythumbs up smileythumbs up smiley

Deborah
June 03, 2009 07:02AM
Congratulations!
June 03, 2009 08:27AM
Absolutely brilliant news.
June 03, 2009 04:08PM
So happy to hear the news!
June 03, 2009 07:15PM
WELL THERE YOU GO THEN, NOW YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOUR MOTHER WANTED
FOR YOU....
yes, dont turn your back on the HD fight, but dont feel guilty
about living wild and free... we salute you...

LIVE ON !!!!!

Enjoying a glass of wine
June 05, 2009 11:08AM
So happy for you! I can only imagine the feeling (tearing up). I'm waiting for my results also.
Now, go get busy having babies, haha....
June 05, 2009 11:08AM
So happy for you! I can only imagine the feeling (tearing up). I'm waiting for my results also.
Now, go get busy having babies, haha....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login