Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Reach for the Summit in Canada...do you think i will like it?...Update, all about our day at the Summit

Posted by Barb 
Re: Reach for the Summit in Canada...do you think i will like it?
June 01, 2009 03:45AM
Is there anyone on here from Canada that went to last years Reach for the Summit? Who is going this year? And how did you like it? I wish it was on a weekday so we can take the train, but on a saturday we will have to drive, and it's almost a 2 1/2 hour drive, so even though i've registered for it now, i think this will be too long a drive for us, but i'll think on it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2009 04:26AM by Barb.
June 01, 2009 05:09AM
Let me re-phrase this, and ask again, and maybe somebody can answer. Has anyone that Has hd gone to the reach for the summit in canada last year, and did you, as a person with hd, enjoy it. Were you able to sit in a chair for 3 hours,in a room full of people, that you know nobody, and listen to 3 hours of speeches, and remember and understand the speeches, or did you just want to jump out of your chair and scream. Did you find it long and agravating and stressful? Now i'm not talking a US convention, the US convention, everyone gets to meet their online friends, i'm talking here in canada. Anyone able to answer this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2009 05:15AM by Barb.
June 01, 2009 09:48AM
Barb, our state convention is not a meeting place for people online. I met no one from online. I didn't see anyone having any particular problem.. there were lots of pHD's. I think there were over a hundred people there, and I would say 1/3rd were pHD's, so that would be 30 or 40 of them. Now were they all having the time of their lives?.. No I am sure they all weren't. It's not about having fun it particular. But everyone seemed to do fine. They listened with interest to what was interesting and probably drifted in and out when it wasn't..like everyone does. Barb.. you can always leave. They won't lock the doors on ya. You can wait in the hall during something you may not want to hear. I did during my last one when the topic wasn't of interest. Especially of topics I was well versed in. Of course in reality many of us here are really well versed in things HD so very new information is tough to come by (Thanks Marsha and Steve). So you kind of pay attention to the presentation to see how much you think you know. You will feel pretty smart by the end, Finding out that you really do know a lot. It's also interesting seeing or listening to people of whom this is there first introduction to HD and learning about it. Three hours.. you will stay engaged that long. Oh.. and don't stress like it's a huge deal.. there is a low key feel about it that is kind of surprising but nice. And don't forget, it will be good for Dan. The interesting part may be in seeing what he gets out of it. It may be in a discussion on the way home, or it may be how he acts toward you afterward. It will be something though.. he is getting better and better all the time. This should help him know why he is, you two will be even more on the same page.

Just go and don't worry about it.. you may last an hour or two or all three.. who cares? It's just a day.. you lived through worse..grinning smiley Consider it warm up for the world convention. Meet a couple of people this time so the shock and awe is worn off..smiling smiley There is none of either really. I was anxious my first time too and found out I was biting a bullet not to get my hand lopped off but to be tickled with a feather..smiling smiley
June 01, 2009 10:00AM
The last time we were there about six were waiting. average waiting I would guess is abot 3-4 each time we go. Had planned to go to summit but now find I will be having a MRI at same hospital on same day, so will have to miss. My wife will be there and will keep me posted. Have a good time.
June 01, 2009 10:30AM
Barb, I think that's a great opportunity for you!I also think it's a neat idea in general to have the different places networked together.

Patty
June 01, 2009 10:36AM
Ross and I went to the Reach for the summit in To at U pof T.The provincial conservative party were also having a meeting in the same place and I was able to catch up with my friend Ted Arnott Mpp.
Your Dr. Maynard was speaking. It took a long time for the cameras to get set up, the handicapped access is not good as the milieu is down steep stairs or the top level or the bottom.but they put the PHDS in the better seats first.

The Huntingtons Society collected questions for the speakers and only asked the most common question. They get zero for the questions method. My question for Dr.Maynard was why HD has declined to outpatient care at a teaching hospital only.

I think socializing is the most important part of any conference
dusty
June 08, 2009 06:09PM
Well the summit is this saturday, and even though im apprehensive and scared of going i did register, and decided to go. But now it looks like my husband might not be able to drive me, so i might be going, or i might not i guess. I'm going to try and see if the hd clinic knows anyone from out this way that is driving out there that day, maybe i can go with them.
June 08, 2009 06:39PM
I just found a phone number on the brochure, it said if you would like to go, but are having trouble with transportation, that i can call that number, and they might be able to help, so i called the voicemail, and maybe will hear back tomorrow smiling smiley I also tried to call the hd social worker for the abbotsford area, to see if he knows anyone from his support group is going, that i could get a ride with, and am waiting back to hear from him too. And now my husband says he really doesnt want to go, but we will see smiling smiley
June 08, 2009 07:33PM
Aww thats a shame, is it that Dan cant go or just doesnt want to? - if u dont mine me asking.

Either way, I hope you get there! Like Eric said, u can always leave or pick and choose what you listen to xx
June 08, 2009 07:46PM
Well it's a combination of a few things Lou. Dan is very good with me, but it has taken longer for him to understand or be connected with me and hd, he is getting better, and is trying. That's why it would be good for him to come too. We've never gone to anything hd related, and so im very nervous, but making myself warm up to the idea. Dan really didnt want to go from the beginning, but wasnt saying so, just being evasive. But i, notice i lol, the person with hd, that has trouble making phone calls, phoned and got us booked for it. It is absolutely free, and only a half day, so that is a huge bonus. It's the cost of gas, he told me today, that we dont have it, and paying for parking. So i asked him if i, yes i lol, can make phone calls and see if someone from our area is going, and if we could get a ride with them, will he come, and he said no. He said has no desire to go. I said ok, that will be hard for me to ride with a stranger, but i can make myself do that. Then i found on the brochure, a phone number, if your having trouble with transportation costs to get to this, so im waiting to hear back. I asked him if the HSC is able to help us with the cost of gas, will he drive me, and he said yes. Dan and i both get nervous in social situations, so i understand how he feels too. But he could at least try and take care of me, by trying to work this out for me, and by him making the phone calls for me. But thats ok, i did make the calls, and aqm waiting to hear back, i think i will be going. It's also a 2 1/2 hour drive, and he has poor circulation in his legs, and so the drive will be hard on him, but he would do it for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 07:47PM by Barb.
June 08, 2009 08:30PM
I so hope you guys can both make it, id love to hear your take on it aswell as his, but if he cant he cant. I will keep my fingers crossed smiling smiley
June 08, 2009 08:40PM
Thanks Lou, i think it will work out when i do some more phone calls tomorrow. Actually, you asking me what the problem was, just helped prompt me to have a talk with him, and i was able to explain to him, that i have no social network any more, except for my online friends, i was able to explain to him that he doesnt take me to church any more, so i have no network there, and no local social network of any kind, so i told him, even though this is scarey for me to go, i think you should helpe me with this, because i told him i need some connections, and that i can use his help, and he seemed to understand that. If i tell him going would be good for him, he says no, but explaining my need to him, and that he could helpe me with this need, seems to help smiling smiley So i will let everyone know if im able to work this out tomorrow, and yes Lou, i'd love to tell everyone about it.
June 10, 2009 04:49PM
We're going we're going we're going!!! I'm so excited! It has all been set up for us to be able to go, and i'm so happy. Thank you to a special family, that has set up a Staying Strong funding in Canada, thank you so very much!!!!!!!
June 10, 2009 05:35PM
Barb you have been wanting this for quite some time. I am so glad it is all working out for you. You said (were) going does that mean Dan is going. I hope so its sounds as if you would like him to be beside you. If Dan does go with you I hope you both can endure the car ride without to much trouble. Enjoy make the most out of your day. Hooray for you I'm your cheerleaderBarb.

Good luck
Bonnie
June 10, 2009 05:41PM
Yup, he's coming, unless he wants to give me the car keys! lol lol i don't drive any more, but hey, theres an idea lol lol thanks beachbum, yes we're both going smiling smiley
June 10, 2009 05:52PM
Thats fantastic Barb, I really hope yous both have a good informative day. I will look forward to your post on how you guys both found it. I can tell (as everyone else!) that you are excited! Im excited for you too I'm your cheerleader

I hope its not in the least stressfull or agravating but that yous have a all round good positive experience

Louise xx
June 10, 2009 05:56PM
Yes i am getting excited Lou, thanks! smiling smiley
June 11, 2009 09:16PM
Ok, i'm getting excited now, i'm getting very excited! Dis i say i'm getting excited????? lol smiling smiley Funny, if you look at the beginning of this thread, i was like Very leary of going, you guys helped me work through my thoughts, then i wanted to go, but no way to get there, and now we are going smiling smiley This is very exciting. Gave hubby a haircut smiling smiley Re-charging camera betteries, yup i'll take pictures...oh maybe i'll get a picture of me and Michael Hayden, oh that will be cool smiling smiley Oh i'll get lots of pictures smiling smiley
June 12, 2009 08:00AM
oh, Barb. I'm so glad to hear you found a way to get there! You are a smart little cookie, you knew how to "encourage" Dan to accompany you to the event! I'm looking forward to hearing how it all went. Have Dan takes some breaks along the drive, ice cream stops might make his outlook more sunny!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
June 13, 2009 09:43PM
We're home! We're home!!! We had an awesome time!!!!! smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login