Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Anyone have info on Tewksbury Hospital

Posted by TeacherSue 
Anyone have info on Tewksbury Hospital
May 27, 2009 04:17PM
I'm trying to find out information on the Huntington's program at Tewksbury Hospital. Hoping some of you fantastic people can give me some inside info.
Still looking for a good place for my sister.
Sue
Re: Anyone have info on Tewksbury Hospital
May 27, 2009 04:40PM
Again, Jim Pollard is the man you want. He runs the program at Tewksbury. His work telephone number is 978 851 7321 ext 2450. His e-mail is: James.Pollard@state.ma.us. He is very accessible and can answer any questions that you have better than anyone. Quite frankly he is probably the #1 authority in the world when it comes to caring for HD patients. Call him! That was my first step in getting proper placement for my daughter. We lived in Georgia at the time and moved north so that Allison could live in the proper environment. Jim and Sarah Miller from Laurel Lake guided us through the process. It was not easy but it was (and still is) the right move!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2009 04:58PM by howard.
May 27, 2009 05:22PM
Howard thanks again. I did write to Jim Pollard and my brother has called him and we are both waiting for him to return e-mail or calls. In fact, I told him you had referred him to me because he was so knowledgeable. I know I need to be patient and wait for him to call but I'm having trouble with patience lately. I feel I need to be doing something, being 1400 miles away from my sister doesn't help much. Thanks again, I really do appreciate all your wisdom.
May 27, 2009 06:06PM
Until he is in the office.. just talk to whomever is fielding calls there. Jim wouldn't leave the place to a dumby.. smiling smiley Honestly I bet anyone who has been there for a year can start you off very well on the place. I am sure he has a top notch crew.
May 28, 2009 07:48AM
I hope you can connect with somoneat Tewksbury very soon, who is able to help you. Jim Pollard is great.
May 28, 2009 10:15AM
I noticed that Jim posted yesterday about the HD walk at the Guthrie Center this Sunday. You could use that to send him a private message. You might have better luck than with the state of Mass. phone numbers & e-mail.
May 28, 2009 04:38PM
The staff at Tewksbury is fantastic and caring. Just call the main clinic number (978-851-7321) and get started with an appointment - usually the 2nd Tuesday of each month.
May 28, 2009 07:57PM
Shhhh. Keep this a secret. But I hear that my man Jimmy is pretty active on Facebook.

Steve
May 29, 2009 05:12AM
Jim called and was helpful with some additional ideas. Right now my sister is in what he referred to as the "gray" zone. Tewksbury is not the place for her. It is more for the final stages. We are now researching assisted living facilities. If she only wouldn't try to hurt herself and would be come proactive in a fight against this horrendous disease. She could have still lived on her own with some help. I wish I could get her to realize this isn't the same as when my mom had it there are some advances.
May 29, 2009 07:34AM
I'm glad Jim is working with you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login