Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Creatine

Posted by jayb 
Creatine
May 25, 2009 08:30PM
I was wondering what the rationale is behind taking such high amounts of creatine to prevent HD. I read that if you multiply your body weight (in kg) by 0.3g then your muscles will have reached their maximum level of creatine stores and excess creatine will be excreted - so in theory most people would only need a couple of grams. Is it hoped that taking higher amounts means more will cross the blood-brain barrier? I think I read somewhere that whether you take 3g or 20g your creatine levels will hardly be any different.

Thanks if anyone can answer this smiling smiley

Justine
Re: Creatine
May 26, 2009 10:50AM
I don't know that answer and am waiting on a response from someone with knowledge in detail on this with you.

The following is also what I have read:

"Creatine is a non-protein amino acid manufactured by the body in the liver, kidneys and pancreas using the amino acids arginine, glycine and methionine. Creatine is then carried to the heart, brain and skeletal muscle, where it assists in the production and regeneration of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the major source of energy at the cellular level. When more ATP is available, more cellular energy is available, hence creatine's well-known benefit of increasing the work capacity of muscle.

A typical recommended dosage of creatine supplements for purposes of exercise enhancement is as follows: an initial "loading phase" of one week consisting of 5 grams of creatine taken 4 times daily, followed by a dose of 2-5 grams daily to maintain creatine levels in the muscles. Consult your physician before beginning the use of creatine supplements, and do not take more than the recommended dose.

Taking creatine supplements typically causes weight gain and increases muscle volume, but it is important to note that most of this is attributed to water retention. Additionally, there is no benefit to consuming more than the recommended amount, as the body can only absorb so much creatine. Once the body has absorbed the maximum amount of creatine, any excess is excreted in the urine unused. Some people do not receive any benefit from creatine supplements, although it is unclear as to why."
May 26, 2009 01:03PM
For purposes of HD, the minimum level of benefit was set at 8 grams. 5 produced no results. Most take ten grams because it's easiest to measure. The creatine study now is high dose of 20 grams and higher. What the rationale behind higher dose is I am not sure.. most people don't use creatine for brain health but for muscle endurance and strength. It does seem for that purpose there is a limit to the the benefit of taking much more than 5 grams. In weight lifting there may be fractional benefits to more but so small there is no sense in goofing with it. Possibly the thinking is small gains in brain function make a large difference and that's what the study should show. Possibly the thinking is that say with ten grams, the brain receives maybe 10 milligrams and 20 grams or more may load all other users of the creatine and then send more to the brain like 15 or 20 miligrams or just assure that the brain has access at all times to as much as it can use and the creatine isn't all being misdirected to muscles, bones and organs and waste. I am not sure they measured the waste creatine down to milligrams or micro-grams in weight lifting as that amount is insignificant in those instances.
May 26, 2009 03:30PM
A 2 year open label dose escalation study of HD-02 (Avicena's proprietary creatine) showed symptom improvement at the 20 grams per day level. My younger brother was in that study at Mass. General. That's why many folks are taking that dose. Here's the status of a Phase 3 trial which has been funded. [www.hdlighthouse.org]

Will
May 27, 2009 08:16AM
Thank you for the link, Will. Does anyone know how long the Creatine study will last and when we might hear any results on it?
May 27, 2009 03:23PM
Thanks for your answers! I'm just trying to decide how much to take as its likely I'm years away from having symptoms and am a small build so I don't want to take too much and overwork my kidneys..
May 27, 2009 03:44PM
I'm 5'8 and 122 lbs. 20 grams a day hasn't bothered me. By coincidence I just got results of recent blood work today. Creatinine and BUN levels were both normal as was everything else.

Will
May 27, 2009 06:14PM
Your buns are level at that age?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login